How to remove a Tow Hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my used LR3 came with a tow hitch installed. Now I want to remove it and noticed that the keyhole is full of dirt and mud and I have no key!

Suggestions?

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my used LR3 came with a tow hitch installed. Now I want to remove it and noticed that the keyhole is full of dirt and mud and I have no key!

Suggestions?

Im in the same boat. :bandit:

Starting to think about a torch... :cool:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you clean up the keyhole area, you should see a 3 digit number. A stealership should be able to cut or find you a corresponding key for it. In my case, they couldn't read the number so we had to drill out the key tumbler and install a new one.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called the stealership. They said they can try out different keys to see if they can open it. If not they will drill out the lock and replace it with a new one. The new kit is needed regardless even if they were able to open it with their keys so that I can have a new set.

The part costs $24.00

Oh, they said they don't cut keys, hence the new part.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer drilled out my core and replaced under warranty. Did it for free but I'd expect it to cost about $150 with new core/keys if you had to pay for it.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Bellevue dealership today, they told me that they can cut the whole assembly off and charge me for the labor, and were selling me just the lock. I was like if thats the case then what the hell am I going to do with the freagin' lock? I would need a brand new tow hitch. And if thats the case I can use a hacksaw at home and do it myself!

Oh and they didn't have the keys that worked on mine. Incompetence in these places is through the roof!

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can punch out the roll pin and remove the handle and locking mechism and reattach the handle and viola you have keyless entry. That. Is what worked for me when I thought I lost the key

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joecool509: How do you I punch out the roll pin? And the rest?

Last edited:

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joecool509: How do you I punch out the roll pin? And the there is a small roll pin that holds the plastic green handle to the whole hitch. Pin punch or small nail and you can take the handle off. There is a locking pin that the key operates. Remove this and you can operate it without. I will try to get some pics.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72