humming / fan noise by right rear wheel when car is off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird that last night I parked in the garage -- and could hear a very faint fan / humming type noise that was coming from somewhere behind the right rear wheel area. Sounded like the fan that cools my laptop.

Truck was off, keys out. Went in house, came back 10 mins later, noise had stopped

Had _never_ heard this before on my LR3 (7 seat, rear air, HSE).

Something odd that may or not be related... yesterday my parking brake jammed. That parking brake actuator doesnt have a cooling fan or anything weird right?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that might have been the air compressor leveling it out...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likly on the air compressor as it won't run when the key is off (unless you have the 4ways on and are commanding a suspension level change with the keyfob). I have noticed this on mine as well. Also heard it once on an LR2 loaner I had. I believe it is a vacuum pump on the emission control system doing a system analysis. It dosen't do this everytime I park, infact I think I have only noticed it a couple of times.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan I think that may be it

I remember reading about an emissions pump back there once before. Good call... that's probably it. It's definitely _not_ the air compressor/air suspension.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard this noise as well. Not always, just randomly it seems. Good to know others hear it as well. :)

tdrewd00

Reaction score
I've heard as well. Glad it's not just mine....thought I might have to have it checked!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9