I have had a loaner D5 for a week Ask Me Anything (LR4 owner)

Discussion in 'Discovery 5' started by machmike, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Agarabaghi

Agarabaghi Full Access Member

Lots of wrong information in here:

LR3 / LR4 are integrated body on frame, as they dont have solid rear axles.

Wading depth of the Disco5 is 35" vs 27.5" of the LR4 stock...

Overal the disco 5 is on paper are far more off road capable vehicle, and time will tell if the issues we saw with the Lr3/4 have been resolved. Not sure what your LR3 has done to it, but the LR3/4 look very skinny and box compared to the disco 5

2. mpinco

mpinco Full Access Member

Hmmmm ........

The LR3/LR4 are integrated body on frame but that is just a fancy way of saying the full frame has been integrated into a unibody. The body can be lifted off the frame. The D5 is unibody. Unibody and more extensive use of aluminum is how LR reduced the D5 weight.

IFS/IRS are a function of design choice, not frame or lack of frame. I would think you could add solid axles to a LR3/LR4 if you wanted, not that I would want to, while the D5 you could not.

The D5 air intake has been integrated into the hood. The LR3/4 have snorkels available. Other than that there is no real difference in wading depth.

Agree, the LR3/LR4 are boxy while the D5 is a bloated jelly bean, like all of the other SUV's today.

toddjb122 likes this.
  3. rjchankalian

rjchankalian Member

I've had a 2011 LR4 and now a 2015. The wife and I went to look at the D5 today. Was my third time.

I love my LR4. I would drive them forever if I could. My lease is up in about 4 months and I'm really trying to like the D5 but I can't get there. Access to the third row is terrible. I know the D5 is longer but I feel like the third row is smaller. It's looks are OK, but the back is just not right and it looks like everything else.

I know the new trend is rounded SUVs but for those who liked the LR4 and all that it was, what trucks are you considering? I'm going to test drive a land cruiser next week. I know in some ways it's a step back in technology, however for what I want it may be my next tuck.

4. Mario

Mario Member

Why don't you simply buy it, when your lease is done?

5. Mario

Mario Member

Thanks for the great report. One question. When I am driving my 2014 LR4 I feel like driving a tank up from a "tower" seating position. Great visibility and command post. I bet you have the same feeling when driving yours. How did you feel in the D5? About the same? When I see pictures of it I don't see the driver in a high and tall position as I see on pics of LR4s.

COangela and bucwolfser like this.
  6. iconoclast

iconoclast Full Access Member

Hahaha... That is far from "loaded". The vehicle tops out at like $85k+.

Probably because they only lease and do not buy their car(s).