I Need Help ! Can someone answer this question for me ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lowealpine7

Well thanks to you guys I think I’ve narrowed the problem down to the U joints or the drive shaft. (To recap: The problem is when I let off the gas I get this grinding sound or when I’m accelerating it sounds like birds are chirping under the car) I want to thank everyone that responded to my Post you were a real big help. But, I have another problem and I was hoping someone could answer this question for me.

THE PROBLEM is I just got off the phone with a Service Manager at a Land Rover Dealership in my area and he told me that the U-joints aren’t servable on a series II and the whole drive shaft needs to be replaced IS THIS TRUE ? I called O’Riley Auto parts and they have the replacement U-joints for my model and year they also have the drive shaft too. So, This is why I’m asking you guys because I don’t think he knows what he’s talking about or really doesn’t understands what I’m asking.

Land Rover
Discovery II
Miles 113,400 roughly

Thank you

Mike

Roverhound

Reaction score
Not true. I just did mine this past weekend. The hooke joint is a little work but other then that it is a standard u-joint replacement.
Fisher auto parts u-joint #344 is a US made product that comes with zerk fittings. To do both shafts you'll need 4 of them. I got mine for about $22. Not cheap for a u-joint but lots cheaper then a drive shaft.

T

tcosson

If there is no clank noise from under the truck when shifting from park/drive or p/r or reverse/drive and it doesn't feel/sound like a tire is out of balance when driving 50 and up, i wouldn't really suspect u-joints. I've not crawled under to look at it but is there a bearing on the shaft or something similar..

Roverhound

Reaction score
Actually, those are the same symptons I had.
The 2 u-joints in the hooke joint are not greasable so they are likely the culprits.

L

lowealpine7

Thank you both for your help ....

I took it into Land Rover this morning and they told me it was the Drive Shaft Assembly which they wanted to fix for $675.00. I've called around and O'Riley Auto Parts has one for 203.99 with a $54.00 Core price. I called Land Rover and OEM is 575.00 and the kicker is they didn't have it in stock it had to be ordered !!! So I found one at and Auto Salvage place or $75.00 and a 6th month warranty. That will give me time to have the other one Rebuilt at a shop in town.

Do you guys know of any good parts places ? The told me that brake pads need to be replaced as well. The wanted 355.00 and 123.00 for the back. I need to find brack pads for it ...

Thank you agian for your help

Mike

R

RoverDisco98

Same problem here. GET IT FIXED.. If the joint blows you can do some major damage under the truck, like hole the transmission case. Fortunitly I did not hole the transmission. Unfortunitly I when mine broke it bent the druive shaft. &1,150 ($850 shaft & joint alone) at the local LR dealer I was on the road again.
I'm headed to the local parts stor e and will be replacing the rest of of the U-joints myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo