Impressed with Towing (6600lbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it have "Gen 4" stamped on it? (How did you know it was Gen 4?)

Actually its Gen 3 sorry...

This is the 2nd Gen that came with RR and LR3 -

nge_Rover_Sport_LR3_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_KBN500023_A.jpg

This is the new 3rd Gen that was released some time after the initial LR4 -

nd_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_LR4_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_A3.jpg

The 3rd Gen has 770lbs tongue stamped on it.

Tachyon

Reaction score
My Jeep is 4,600 stock, dry. I estimated 5,200-5,500 with current mods and fuel. The trailer is 1,400. I'm probably pushing 7,000 loaded.

The LR4 is a 2016 with the new hitch, which is much different from the original hitch I had on my LR3. I towed over 10k miles on my LR3 with a 5,000lb boat and trailer with no issues.

Tachyon

Reaction score
Hard to say. I loaded it with the LR4 ignition off, so I could monitor rear suspension sag. I let it drop about 2" and then strapped the Jeep in that position. I'm guessing 500 lbs or so. 6-8% of total trailer weight.

I drove 40 miles, building up speed, testing for sway with abrupt swerves (on a very rural road, of course), working my way up from 20mph to 70. Zero sway.

Braking was great, acceleration was adequate.

Last edited:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. I loaded it with the LR4 ignition off, so I could monitor rear suspension sag. I let it drop about 2" and then strapped the Jeep in that position. I'm guessing 500 lbs or so. 6-8% of total trailer weight.

I drove 40 miles, building up speed, testing for sway with abrupt swerves (on a very rural road, of course), working my way up from 20mph to 70. Zero sway.

Braking was great, acceleration was adequate.

Perfect.

I am going to bet it was higher than 600 with your the weights you listed... use this to get a decent guestimate.

https://www.doubledtrailers.com/scripts/bumper-pull-weight-calculator.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM