In need of help I'm locked out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ussycat

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post and am hoping someone can help me. I own a Discovery and found that this morning I am totally locked out. My key doesn't open the car but the alarm gets disarmed. I have searched the internet for help to no avail. I installed a new battery on the remote and that doesn't help. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have a Discovery 2 2004.

toecutter

Reaction score
have u tried a different door. mine wont unlock the drivers door, but will the passenger door.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to send me your number, I'll call you and walk you thru what to do. There are only 2 options, break a window or get power down to your starter.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
My personal experience with the locking mechanisms on 1997 and 2004 Discovery's is that it has always been tied to the alarm system. Are you saying that you cannot manually open the vehicle with the key (not alarm fob)? If so, and none of the keys work on any of the door locks. Look for the common denominator. If it turns out to be the alarm system, can you get your hood open to disconnect the battery? If you can, try disconnecting it and let it set for about 20-30 minutes (an arbitrary time frame but it worked for me). Reconnect the battery and see if it works. If it does, Voila! Plus, you may have to reset your factory radio code. If it doesn’t, I would be curious what your final fix is, so please share. I have had a myriad of issues, all seemingly unrelated but they all appeared to be associated with the factory alarm. Hope this helps and you don't have to break any glass.

Bj

rover palmtree

Reaction score
Yes....that's right. Even with the key, I cannot open the door. Using the key, the driver's door seems to unlock (the lock thing on the inside of the door pops up), and the alarm seems to turn off. However, when I pull on the outside handle....it's seems locked.

Pretty sure that the mech inside the handle can be adjusted and then it will work correctly, but the trouble is that I can't get inside of the truck to make the adjustment.

I like the idea of disconnecting the battery....anyone have any ideas how to open the hood from the truck from the outside? Used to have a Linclon....had to open the hood from outside once, don't know it that can be done on a DII.

DiscoMike posted about getting power down to the starter....this is something that I can do, no problem. There is plenty of room under the truck, however....how much power, and what do I do?

Thanks for any help on this!

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Have you looked for a good locksmith? They should be able to get you in the vehicle with ease. As a side note, I have also had the opposite happen, (usually with the back door and the driver’s door) where the locks would seem engaged but they actually were not mechanically locked. i.e. I lock the doors but the rear, cargo door is not mechanically locked and I can open it. The alarm is engaged so when I open it the alarm goes off. Hope this helps…

Bj

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Sorry for the partial double post. The whole reply didn't make it...

Bj

I am curious as to how the starter motor will open your doors. I didn't know the starter bone was connected to the door lock bone...Sorry for the humor...I have had this issue also. In my instances, the door lock solenoids were the culprit but also seemed be tied to the alarm functions. Do you notice any of the locks going up or down, on the inside of the vehicle? If so, what may be happening is that the solenoids are not receiving enough juice, they are just worn out or some other nonsense and keeping the mechanical part of the locks from fully disengaging. Once or twice the solenoids were replaced and the problem went away, until it came back. I have read that you may be able to remove the Land Rover emblem on the rear door and lube the mechanism to get it to open. Not sure if it works though.

Have you looked for a good locksmith? They should be able to get you in the vehicle with ease. As a side note, I have also had the opposite happen, (usually with the back door and the driver’s door) where the locks would seem engaged but they actually were not mechanically locked. i.e. I lock the doors but the rear, cargo door is not mechanically locked and I can open it. The alarm is engaged so when I open it the alarm goes off. Hope this helps…

Bj

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were really careful, you could hook a jumper cable the the positive post onto the hot post on the starter which would then send power thru the truck and you could clear the alarm faults and open the door.

rover palmtree

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the words of wisdom :hello:

Disco Mike: Ok, I can be very careful, like you suggest, no problem. So, just to make sure I understand....hook up the positive from a jumper cable to the positive post on the starter? A full 12 volts? And hook the neg up to a ground on the truck? Leave it energized like that for how long? And, I guess that will make the start motor spin, but don't worry about it?

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99