Intermittent engine start failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhewJ

Reaction score
2001 Discovery II 135,000 miles.

This happened the first time a year ago. It was a hot day Disco was running fine. Stopped at the store came back out would turn over but not start.
The engine was turning over fine but you could tell it was as if something had been turned off so to speak. Tried to start her for quite a while waiting a few minutes in between attempts. Called the tow and brought her home. 30 minutes later the flatbed driver hopped in to unload and she started right up. This would for all I could see be a crank sensor failure. I at the time however did not know what a crank sensor was. I drove the disco with no problems for another year and a few times I had to jump her off because the battery went flat due to lack of driving. But I did drive her quite a lot. Last week took her out for a drive 30 miles or so came back to the house all fine. Then had to go to store on an errand, cranked right up no problem. Got to the store and came back out she would turn over but not start. The same thing she did a year ago. I tried to wait a little while but the battery went flat in repeated attempts to start her. Had her towed to the dealer. The next day the dealer said it was on a dead cell in the battery because when they replaced the battery she started right up. Also their diagnostic computer did not indicate any codes for any system or componet failure. I had the service manager drive her for a few days also. They say she is fine and that the crank sensor does not indicate a replacement is necessary. Can anyone please give me some advice as to what this problem might be. Can a dead cell in a battery cause this issue. Also before taking her to the dealer I tried jumping her of the next morning at home and she still would not start..turning over fine but no start. Another thing the old battery was a factory referb.
I have lost me sense of trust with this Disco. What can I do to determine the true cause of this intermittant issue.

Thanks for any suggestions

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes a dead cell will cause weird battery issues. And you may want to look into the crank sensor.

RhewJ

Reaction score
The dealer seems adament that the crank sensor is not the problem. They say that their diagnos equip would tell them if that's what my issue was related to. Is there any way to check the sensor other than what the dealer is telling me.

RhewJ

Reaction score
Can the CPS be failing and not trip a code that the dealership would see?

RhewJ

Reaction score
I am replacing the CPS Thanks to all for your suggestions!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes, a failing CPS does not always throw a code.

RhewJ

Reaction score
Thank you sir. I am for sure replacing this sensor. The next time it fails will probably be at night in the rain far far from home in a bad part of town.

Stripe

Reaction score
RhewJ, Has the sensor replacement fixed the problem?
I'm sort of in the same boat, only mine died whilst driving her.
And like you mine didn't even throw out ANY codes.

Stripe

Stripe

Reaction score
cps

RhewJ, Has the sensor replacement fixed the problem?
I'm sort of in the same boat, only mine died whilst driving her.
And like you mine didn't even throw out ANY codes.

Stripe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM