iPhone Bluetooth Override

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. . .I started a new thread on this because I have it narrowed down a bit.

My iPhone will only play in Bluetooth mode, whether connected via hardwire or not. This means I lose the functionality of searching music, hitting the shuffle button, etc. I can still play via the "iPhone Bluetooth" option, but just the iPod option will not work. It may play for 30 seconds on that option and then it overrides to the bluetooth.

I called the dealer and they say that's just the way it is. I can't believe that you would have to turn off your iPhone's bluetooth connection (and phone capability) in order to play your iPhone via a hardwire. Tell me this system is not that stupid?

Is anyone else having this issue or do I just have a dunce of a technician that doesn't know what they are talking about?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer called back to say they tried to replicate the issue and couldn't. Sounds like I need a software update to correct the problem. I'm assuming others don't have this issue?

marijono

Reaction score
I have the same identical issue on 12 LR4 HSE Lux. Dealer states that's the way it is...

I'm not sure what trigger the switch from hardwire to bluetooth (after a minute or so); whether it was iOS default functionality or LR's audio system's that triggers the switch

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just strange that anyone would engineer the system to override the hardwire. Essentially, they are telling you to either run your iPhone (without bluetooth) or run your bluetooth (but have limited ability to change music). It's silly.

I'm not going to run back to the dealership and have them try to fix this thing, but I will show it to them next time I'm in. I"m hoping it's a simple software glitch.

marijono

Reaction score
I suspect it has something to do with the "type of device" the LR's system is identified within iPhone's BT software. I suspect it's recognized as BT Audio devices (i.e. Blue tooth speaker) during iPod play, therefore it keeps getting prioritized.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, I have a iPhone 4 and a 2012 HSE with sat/hd, but not logic 7. I didn't seem to have the problem that you describe.

I have my phone connected via BT and typically default to bt also streaming my music. Today, i was listening to sirius and also periodically taking calls via BT. I then plugged in my iPhone via the iPhone dock in the armrest. I switched from sirius to iPod on the home screen and everything worked fine, full browsing, etc. I also could continue to make calls via BT. I did not have a conflict with the music and had no problem playing via the hardline with all of the associated controls it gives...

obdoc

Reaction score
I have the same problem that you do. When I plug my iphone4 into the iphone connector the music plays for about 1 minute and then it switches over to bluetooth. It is really annoying. I suspect that a future software update will cure this, but it drives my bonkers as the BT audio quality is also not as rich, as well as the lost functionality.
My workarounds thus far included trying to manually select the output on my iphone, which lasted about 1 minute before defaulting back, and manually disconnecting the bluetooth audio device in the audio menu. That works, but I reserve it for long periods in the car as it defaults back when you start again.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 with Logic 7, oddly enough via bluetooth it will not play the music (streaming), but when plugged in plays without issue. I can still make calls, etc so long as it is plugged in.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead issue, but I had the dealer check out this issue yesterday. They could replicate it, but they cannot fix it. On my 2012 LR4 HSE (no logic 7), you can either:

1) Plug the iPhone in and run it from the touch screen with the Bluetooth turned OFF (obviously, handsfree would not work), or
2) Plug in the iPhone and run it in Bluetooth mode with the Bluetooth turned ON (no way to control the music on-screen or iPhone except "next" button), or
3) Not plug in the phone and run Bluetooth. You can control music from iPhone or hit the "next" button on the screen.

Initially, they thought this was a "not supporting iPhone 6.0.1 issue," but that's not the case. There's just no way to run a plugged in iPhone from the touchscreen while the Bluetooth is on. I'm sure they'll fix this in future models. Glad I could de-bug another issue with the LR4, though.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 has no blue tooth audio option. kinda glad that there is no BT audio in the 2011 given the issues people have been having. Hopefully LR will fix the issue with upcoming models.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635