iPhone via cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was test driving an LR4 with the HSE PLUS package which had a short straight iPod/iPhone cable in the center console, so I hooked up my iPhone 3gS. I got a message on my iPhone that it would not charge my iPhone.

I then tried again with the LR4 in the showroom which had the HSE LUX PLUS package. That one had a different cable -- a coil type iPod/iPhone cable. This one did charge my iPhone (though I still got that annoying "Airplane Mode" message).

Another quirk was that on either vehicle, I was unable to use my Pandora app. Pandora would play for about 2 seconds and then would switch back to my iPhone's iPod music and pause my Pandora. If I attempt to press play on the Pandora again, same thing.

I'm curious to hear from others who have an iPhone -- does your iPhone charge with the cable, and does Pandora radio work for you?

dstrickler

Reaction score
I have an HSE (not the plus with the towing) and have the coiled cable. While I do get the "Airplane" mode warning (yes, I find it irritating too), the reason you can't play Pandora, is that the car is telling the iPhone to go into "remote control" mode, and be an iPod. The iPhone is happy to oblige, and runs the iPod app which plays your music/books/etc on your iPhone. Note there is decent integration with the Audio console on your dash.

What you and I are looking for is a way to tell it to just use the audio out from the phone into the stereo system in the car while the Pandora app runs. I've not yet figured this out, but have hopes this summer when the v4 firmware for the iPhone is out that it will allow for a solution.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks dstrickler, for the info. That makes sense.

My husband has an Alpine car stereo with iPod capability. I control my iPhone's iPod from the Alpine stereo, but if I turn on Pandora radio, it will mute the iPod and Pandora works fine. So maybe Land Rover can put out an update to fix this?

jattea

Reaction score
What you and I are looking for is a way to tell it to just use the audio out from the phone into the stereo system in the car while the Pandora app runs. I've not yet figured this out, but have hopes this summer when the v4 firmware for the iPhone is out that it will allow for a solution.

All you need to do is run a 1/8" male-to-male headphone cable from the Auxilliary jack (located above the 2nd row cupholders) to a convenient place in the front row. Just plug it in to the iphone headphone and use the Aux input. There isn't any integration with the LR display, but you can play audio from the iPod, Pandora, Rhapsody, whatever.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is run a 1/8" male-to-male headphone cable from the Auxilliary jack (located above the 2nd row cupholders) to a convenient place in the front row. Just plug it in to the iphone headphone and use the Aux input. There isn't any integration with the LR display, but you can play audio from the iPod, Pandora, Rhapsody, whatever.
Thanks for the reply. Would it still work if you had both the iPod cable and the Aux cable plugged in -- to play Pandora radio and charge the iPhone at the same time?

jattea

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Would it still work if you had both the iPod cable and the Aux cable plugged in -- to play Pandora radio and charge the iPhone at the same time?

I haven't tried that but I doubt it would work. I'm sure the iPhone cable overrides the headphone jack. You could always just get a car charger and plug it in to the power outlet...

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I visited another dealer today and the sales guy said that I can plug my iPhone via USB to play Pandora/Rhapsody and it would charge it too. I didn't have a cable to try, but he's probably right.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I visited another dealer today and the sales guy said that I can plug my iPhone via USB to play Pandora/Rhapsody and it would charge it too. I didn't have a cable to try, but he's probably right.

OK I just tried this and it doesn't work. Plugging the iPhone into the USB plug does absolutely nothing. It doesn't even charge the iPhone.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I just tried this and it doesn't work. Plugging the iPhone into the USB plug does absolutely nothing. It doesn't even charge the iPhone.
I was told that you must use the special cable and connection. The USB port will not work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM