Ipod Interface Through Nav-Tv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody has a clue to what Nav-TV will be selling as an iPod interface... or it's real functionalities.

The current expensive Nav-TV "tuner" hack for LR3/Disco 3 just gives you a way to select an external audio/video source. (Without it, you can only see it in test/diag mode.)

What I don't want to see is this repackaged: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_vhub.htm

It's a "controller", and you connect it to any video screen input for the main UI. Control is via physical remote. Most wouldn't consider this integration.

L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
Nobody has a clue to what Nav-TV will be selling as an iPod interface... or it's real functionalities.

The current expensive Nav-TV "tuner" hack for LR3/Disco 3 just gives you a way to select an external audio/video source. (Without it, you can only see it in test/diag mode.)

What I don't want to see is this repackaged: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_vhub.htm

It's a "controller", and you connect it to any video screen input for the main UI. Control is via physical remote. Most wouldn't consider this integration.
Where would you put the alpine solution if you have a NAV system already? What it replace your radio?

M

Matt_Grim2

You pay $2200.00 for the Nav-Tv Hack...

Once the Ipod interface add-on becomes availible basically the Ipod's screen will be the Navigation screen, It will act exactly as the Ipod screen but will all be touchscreen...

The Alpine Vehicle Hub solution that you keep on mentioning is not integrated at all because you have to use the remote and non of it is displayed on the Navi screen so it really isn't worth the money...now if you don't have the Navigatoin in your LR3 then it works fine...

In my LR3 I bought the Nav-Tv Interface for $2200.00 & The 8 Disc DVD-Changer for $750.00 because I plan on adding 2 Rear Screens & I have it wired right now that each person in the back 2 seats can use the Controls on the door with headphones & each person can watch a seperate DVD...

Once the Satellite Radio Add-on becomes availible all the Xm/Sirius controls will be replicated on the Navi-screen, in all there touch screen glory...

To everyone that says "$2200.00" is alot of money for the Nav-Tv deal, I think it is pretty cheap considering I spent $56,825.00 on my LR3 HSE...

W

w6000

In my LR3 I bought the Nav-Tv Interface for $2200.00 & The 8 Disc DVD-Changer for $750.00 because I plan on adding 2 Rear Screens & I have it wired right now that each person in the back 2 seats can use the Controls on the door with headphones & each person can watch a seperate DVD...

Would'nt you need two different DVD players in order to watch different DVD's

M

Matt_Grim2

Acctually, I know what you are thinking, I thought the same thing when I bought it but the salesman insisted that the DVD changer had the ability to play 3 DVD's at a time, 1 on the Navi & 1 on each of the Rear Screen's. When I had it all installed that was the case, so it is a Pretty Sweeat set-up & i can't wait to add the Ipod & Xm...

W

w6000

Matt_Grim2 said:
Acctually, I know what you are thinking, I thought the same thing when I bought it but the salesman insisted that the DVD changer had the ability to play 3 DVD's at a time, 1 on the Navi & 1 on each of the Rear Screen's. When I had it all installed that was the case, so it is a Pretty Sweeat set-up & i can't wait to add the Ipod & Xm...

Please tell me how I order this?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt_Grim2 said:
Once the Ipod interface add-on becomes availible basically the Ipod's screen will be the Navigation screen, It will act exactly as the Ipod screen but will all be touchscreen...
How do you know this? I haven't seen anyone from Nav-TV say anything about the full capabilities.

Matt_Grim2 said:
In my LR3 I bought the Nav-Tv Interface for $2200.00 & The 8 Disc DVD-Changer for $750.00 because I plan on adding 2 Rear Screens & I have it wired right now that each person in the back 2 seats can use the Controls on the door with headphones & each person can watch a seperate DVD.
I'm honestly confused on your install. Do you have this installed now or not? Since Nav-TV just sells you a video input, what controls all this? I've also never seen an 8-disc DVD changer that plays 3 discs at a time. (That would require 3 independent DVD playback mechanisms and video decoders!)

Sorry, but $2200 is a rip-off for something just turns on the latent LR/Alpine "tuner" interface and adds a new audio input... even if the vehicle is $100K USD.

Last edited by a moderator:

34RoveR

I talked to this dude, who was selling something similar on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8019565210 , supposedly it's compatible with the LR3 navigation. I didn't ask him if it had the capability of adding satellite.

He told me he would be willing to lower the price a bit to 2500.00 All these discussions seem insane to me personally, I have an 05 H2 and the nav to video conversion including installation of a back up cam integrated in the nav screen was like 900.00

I'm located in NY and dealt with these guys http://www.navwithtv.com/grey.htm when I had the work on the H2 done. They've never worked on a LR3 conversion, but I'll be their giunea pig for the right price. I trust they wont destroy my nav considering I and a bunch of my friends have had alot of work done by them. I'm going to head into their shop next week, I'll let you guys know what they can do (ipod / sat integration).

Dennis

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Roveractive guy (eBay) is a great, but he doesn't always understand what he's selling. It's understandable... he sells a lot of parts.

I understand the factory LR/Alpine system and what it can and can't do... so I'm very, very suspect of wild claims.

(Most video or rear-view camera solutions for Navigation screens just bypass the screen's video input with an electronic switch... easy and cheap. But not "real integration.")

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lacarruk1

Matt_Grim2 said:
Who did the install for you? Does this VOID Manufacturer's warranty in any way? Also - How does sound get fed to speakers when you add Sirius and iPod? Is it thru AUX connection because we all know how crappy that sounds?

Will there be a special cradle you will need to plug iPod into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo