iPod - Recommended Solutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem 1: AUX input level is not sufficient.

Problem 2: Steering wheel controls cannot operate an iPod when using factory AUX jack.

Solution 1: Read the Manual, if you think the NAV voice is shouting at you or the alarms/alerts are too loud, you can set the volume offset individually. in other words set NAV voice/Alerts offset volume close to the MAIN or the stereo volume. That should fix some problems.

Solution 2: Still not loud enough, get a headphone amp ( google Total Airhead) that will add a good amount of gain to the AUX jack. Still gotta change/charge batteries. Still no steering wheel control..Clipping? see next

Solution 3: Blow some cash on a Factory connector to get a direct connection and steering wheel controls. It's slick, but the factory mount location is not the best. Shell out some bones for ProClip.com 's custom mounts. Search around there is also third party kits for less but..

Solution 4: The Cheapest. Use iTunes and burn 6 CD, Audio CDs, using 80 Minute CDs you get 8 hours of music. which is perfect if you use iTunes Genius playlist generator and select 100 tracks based on one song, it all should fit fine. Bonus you get the factory steering wheel control and a factory direct connection. worried about volume use the soundcheck feature in iTunes before you burn the disc. note: if you buy stuff from the iTunes Music Store, curse the leadership at Apple and DRM lawyers, you cannot use those tracks in a "MP3 CD"

Yeah I am for solution 4. But I would go with solution 3 and a Proclip mount if I had an iPod Touch or iPhone. Cost vs Benifits

Hope I help stimulate your Digital Lifestyle merging w/ your cars sound system.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this product. Adds a little remote to your steering wheel, charges my iPhone, but doesn't help out with the amp issue.
http://www.iphonefreak.com/2008/01/kensington-adds.html
Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote for iPod; iPhone 1G, 3G: Electronics

It is the only thing I have found like it, but I have to warn you it isn't 100%. (doesn't always work...read the reviews on apple.com for it)

416XYoxsauL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use option 5: previously issued advice. Have an ipod interface cable hardwired into the back of your head unit for under $100 and have perfect sound level, and charge your iPod/iPhone at the same time. No steering wheel controls though, other than volume.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, ya, you posted that before, but it would be helpful to others if you could elaborate on the exact method and hook up. $100 is the least expensive solution.

Moreover, if you have a custom clip from proclip.com you can angle your iPhone or iPod touch toward the driver/or passengers and orient it horizontally, on it's side, and use the awesome album browser built in to the iPhone/iPod Touch. I read before that you use this in similar fashon to play movies for the passengers. see images. the custom holder mounts to dash mount.

image.asp

image.asp

image.asp

image.asp

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, ya, you posted that before, but it would be helpful to others if you could elaborate on the exact method and hook up. $100 is the least expensive solution.

Sorry, I don't know the specifics. It was a simple cable with an iPod connector on one end, and inputs for the radio and power on the other end. I had a shop install it for me, so I didn't pay much attention to it. The cable probably cost no more than $30. It's black in color :)

Edit: I just checked Crutchfield and they did NOT have one that I am describing for the LR3.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Belkin cable. It adds volume from a headphone amp, and is a clean one-plug solution that both connects to the AUX and charges the iPod. Total is less than $20.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that plus a 1 foot long headphone cable from Radio Shack to get from the power plug to the AUX input did the trick for me. No steering wheel controls obviously, but great sound for the money.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harman Kardon Drive and Play2-iPod is no where to be seen-the HK interface is much more driver friendly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635