Is there any reason to not use synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the 7500 mile change the dealer strongly advised to stay with regular oil to finish the engine break-in properly. This is my first LR so I accepted that. Now at 15,000 miles, same issue. The service advisor tells me the engine wasn't designed to run on synthetic oil and regular oil is just fine. I'm willing to pay the difference but he insists on not doing it. :confused: I've used synthetic oil in my Audis for years with great results, especially in the turbo engines. I'm torn between making him put in synthetic or just changing the regular oil myself at 3750 mile intervals between the free dealer changes.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer uses land rover oil since they are a LR dealer he told me it was a semi synthetic what year is your LR3 09?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours is a 2008. Dealer didn't mention if the oil they use is "semi-synthetic".

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya they recomended 5k between oil changes. People love to have you change the oil early. Conventional oil has been shown for years to be good for 6k miles so a semi synth I would expext 8k and 10-15k for synth.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Mobil1 5W30 SUV Synthetic - meets/exceeds all of the LR specs for oil, and my dealer has no issue with using it for my oil changes.

Have used it from the 15,000 change onwards - oil changes are at 7,500 intervals in the US on the V8.

The old 'engine was not designed for it' routine is just BS - and ill informed BS at that.

Even the D2 has recommended Synthetics, and that's an old Buick derived block!

m5ccie

Reaction score
That's what my dealer told me initially too but on the second oil change I brought my Castrol Syntec 0w-30 with me and asked them to use that instead. I do tow and synthetic to me is a must. No issues with the dealer, the oil meets all the LR specs, including GF-3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM