Is this expensive for water pump change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexander

Reaction score
I had my LR4 into a local mechanic, they gave me a good price on replacing both front lower control arms(just under 1,100 with alignment) but the water pump seemed a little expensive to me. They also said i needed an oil change which they said was going to be $400! I respectfully declined that.http://imgur.com/a/XHVAx grand total of 1,318

Kevin P

Reaction score
They just changed mine and quoted 950, then I talked with my aftermarket warranty and they said it was covered when I picked the vehicle up and paide my 250 deductible I noticed they o ly charged the warranty company about 450. Kinda weird to me.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my LR4 into a local mechanic, they gave me a good price on replacing both front lower control arms(just under 1,100 with alignment) but the water pump seemed a little expensive to me. They also said i needed an oil change which they said was going to be $400! I respectfully declined that.http://imgur.com/a/XHVAx grand total of 1,318

They did more than the pump, they also did the crossover. With that considered the labour looks a little high (crossover portion) because they are most of the way there anyhow doing the pump replacement. They did a thorough job replacing all the troublesome bits that will eventually fail.

Oil change? Yeah that is way too high. Invest in a mityvac oil suction system and change your own. It is the easiest vehicle in the world to change the oil on. 15 minutes tops and all the work is done from the top side. You can avoid the pricey LR Castrol recommended stuff by using "Standard" top shelf synthetic and change twice as often as the ridiculous 1 year 25k km intervals that LR suggests. check the oil filter cap (Ford Motor Company lol)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just changed mine and quoted 950, then I talked with my aftermarket warranty and they said it was covered when I picked the vehicle up and paide my 250 deductible I noticed they o ly charged the warranty company about 450. Kinda weird to me.

Seems like health insurance, where you see the "contract" amount the insurance actually pays is much less than the amount initially billed.

Alexander

Reaction score
Oil change? Yeah that is way too high. Invest in a mityvac oil suction system and change your own. It is the easiest vehicle in the world to change the oil on.

I was able to get the vac pump, a diagnostic tool to reset the service required message, oil & filter, cabin and engine air filters for under 400. it was easily the least difficult oil change i've ever done

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their water pump replacement cost is consistent with what my mechanic told me. I think his casual quote was $750 for the parts/labor your quote describes. Nothing is cheap on the rover. ;)

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$400 for an oil change? They're milking you. Even if you don't do the vacuum method from topside you'd still be able to do the old school way by pulling off the skid and draining. Although I've read this doesn't get all 8.5qts of old oil out.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99