Is this the Master Cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm back.

Anywayse. I was driving between the Bay Area and LA the other evening and went to pull off the road to stretch out when I found out my brakes had stopped working. After pumping them a few times I was able to get enough pressure in them to safely pull off the road for a minute and assess the situation. Full fluid resivor, nothing leaking, everything appears to be ok.

Is this the symptoms of a master cylinder gone bad?

Even if not, I wanted to upgrade my brakes so I went out and purchased most of the replacement parts anywayse, Cylinder, Pads, vented Rotors, Stainless Steal lines (Thanks ExpeditionExchange). Luckilly, even though I was still 150 miles from LA, with brakes as efficient a puck sliding on ice, I was still able to make it there safely. Disco is now parked in driveway waiting for repairs.

Also, any other recommendations on items in the braking system to replace? I'd like to go ahead and do everything all at once.

Thanks for the insight.

Rich

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds more to me like the ABS is working overtime.... That is why I just pulled the fuse. The ABS in the Disco 1's suck to say the least.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300 Points awarded to Joey :)

You were correct, and just saved me a bunch of money on my machanic bill. (I prefer to roll without ABS anyway. Let me do my braking not the computer) In case of future use that the ABS needs to be re-enabled (When/If i sell the car) what are the steps to remedy this problem?

Thanks a bunch!

I tried to donate to LRW, but the donation form is down.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull all 3 ABS fuses? Or just the one inside the driver's kickpanel fusebox?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When I did mine, I just pulled the 30amp pump fuse under the hood.

Reinable the ABS to sell, just replace fuse and pray.... reseat all the ABS sensors and pray, or just pray.....

Not sure which will work best... but I bet you will Pray and be very thankful if they work :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635