It is a damm shame !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a butt full of service advisors that cannot seem to find or hear problems with my truck.

I have had it the shop now three times for the same damm thing, a knocking noise from the front end or thru the steering wheel when you make a turn into a drive way for example.

1) The first time they replaced the spacers at the bushings, that did not help.
2) They said the TSB on the steering wheel did not include my truck.

They said they cannot replicate the noise, I told him to take the damm thing out and turn into the dealer driveway.

My question, does anyone have any advice on what this might be other than the two listed above.

we have to come to a forum to get answers they should have.

Thanks

2005 LR3 31000 miles

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have to come to a forum to get answers they should have.

Thanks

2005 LR3 31000 miles
This is one of the many good reasons for the forums.

Did they lube the steering bump stops? This was very common on the 2005's. I still have a slight amount of bump feedback coming up through the steering wheel even today under the same conditions you have described.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know but I will ask.

My advisor is staring to get an attitude, and it is not making me happy…

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB Info:

Component Description:
3. STEERING:COLUMN Bulletin Number: 211002
Bulletin Date: Jun 2006

Vehicle: 2005 Land Rover LR3
Summary:
STEERING COLUMN KNOCK. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10020128 )

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the VIN range, they should apply the correction regardless, if you're experiencing the exact same issue. LR warranty should cover it regardless. You can always open up a case with LRNA regarding the issue, and they will contact the dealer directly for you to help get the issue resolved. I had a steering knock, and had a stop plate if I recall correctly, replaced.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR also released a more robust ball joint in 2008. Had mine replaced under warranty, along with lower steering shaft (per TSB), and front bushings. This fixed my front knock. Also have them put in the shims on the front and rear ARB.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR also released a more robust ball joint in 2008. Had mine replaced under warranty, along with lower steering shaft (per TSB), and front bushings. This fixed my front knock. Also have them put in the shims on the front and rear ARB.

do you happen to know the TSB #

jak167

Reaction score
Gmoney, my 2005 LR3 with 23k (just purchased approx month and half ago) does the exact same thing. It's a bit confusing b/c it will occur while driving (slowly) when you have rolling bumps, causing the suspension to compress and extend. This tends to indicate bushing issues. However, it also does it with no suspension travel, when backing out of my driveway and turning at the same time. This tends to indicate tie-rod issues. I did put in the rubber spacers beneath the sway bar mounts, helped a little. Also, the dealer did replace the steering column mount; and, believe it or not, the situation got worse. It was almost like the slop in the steering column was masking the tie-rod/bushing issues. Mine also had an intermittent on-center shimmy between 45-60. They did replicate this at the dealer.

I recently had it in for scheduled 24 month service and the dealer, pursuant to instructions (interesting) tightened the tie-rod ends (it's actually on the paperwork). This did make improvements (eliminating the shimmy), but did not completely eliminate the problem.

Upon reviewing other threads in this forum RE suspension play (sorry don't remember which one) another member videotaped the movement of the suspension and it showed large movement of the rubber bushing on the suspension.

Overall, my gut tells my it's a combination of both tie-rod and bushings. I get along great with my SA (as my grandpa said catch more flies with honey than vinegar), but I told him I will regularly and continuously be bringing the vehicle back in for service on these issues until they are corrected (ie: every few thousand miles or so). I am creating a document trail, so as Murphy's Law kicks in and the tie-rods/bushing fail 500 miles outside of warranty, I can still claim repairs base upon their failure to diagnose correctly.

This truck has quite a dual personality, comfortable/competent on-road and a beast off-road. It may be the compromises made by the engineers to make this vehicle be great at both results in this little foible.

I still am very happy with the purchase and would not let this issue prevent me from enjoying my time driving it, both on and off-road. I'll keep the forum updated if any new info arises.

Trynian

Reaction score
Mine is the front lower control arm bushings. working on getting them replaced under warranty.

Try driving at less the 5 miles an hour and hit the breaks hard. if you hear that knock it is the bushings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM