It never ends, is it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And of course to top this day - i am now getting new lovely noise at idling (or at least at slow speed when letting pedal go and slowing down). Sounds like some bearing went south all the sudden.
But its not whining, like you would think, its more like what them old matrix printer sounds :) Could be of course final days of that right cat converter and exhaust got way clogged so engine struggles.. I am giving up - have to buy cats i sppse and weld them on. Catco and CarSound seems to be both good choices, first is cheaper (1/2) and other got very good flow characteristics plus it has model with upstream hole for O2 sensor.. :) Decisions decisions....

On good side - i got and installed me new ignition. Drove up and down street (as you do for short tests), and word is 'awesome'. Its so responsive that its scary. And it actually feels a lot better performing. I'll keep eye on mileage - allegedly bloody thing should get some serious improvement. Idle is surely improved - its now dead on stable...

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
New ignition? I must have missed that thread, what did you get for the ol' rover? As far as the noise goes from your previous threads I woulds say either the Cats or you have a new hole in the exhaust just making more noise.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well noise feels like its somewhat related to how active engine. I'll try to sort bloody thing out in few days.

Ignition - i got jacobs electronics pro street kit from summit racing. Bloody expensive but i did some search and it came out as being quite interesting option, so i decided to give it a shot. Kit consists of coil, energy pack and extra bit to buy is harness. Energy pack got revs limiter and 3 mins manual full throttle, if you want to hook that one up :)), which is pretty cool, and whole thing is pretty much straight bolt-on that can reuse existing coil as signals sender. Increasing output, blah blah. Another interesting product that i may get off them sometime in future - off road hill climb module - thingy sensing how steep you are and adapting spark output.

I found thread where guy said he got 17 (street) / 21 (motorway) mileage with his pack, but i have no idea what he was using. Then of course his enigne threw CE light after few weeks.

Ignition on D1s seems to be pretty bad as it is, causing bad RPMs, stalling, starting issues. And thats what me Disco had, so after some research and replacing lots of details i figured its time to try ignition. While searching around and asking mechanics it turns out there are numerous failed ignition coils (wearing out?) and modules. But i didnt want to setup another Boschs or Lucas products, so i went road of spending more money, but apparently get better resulst.

I am gonna play with whole setup more, but right now it feels like incredible improvement over regular ignition.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have read about that, too bad that is not a real option on a '97 Disco

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey - why? its designed for v8 engines.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GEMS.

96 and newer don't have a coil, or distributor.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its designed to fit magnetic pick-ups and distributorless & etc... I'll extract possible configs from documentation tonight.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(X-post with discoweb :))

Ok thats it. I cant stand noise from right cat anymore..

Can someone please tell me tube size for those? I think its 2.25", but i want to be sure before ordering
Or alternatively can someone who replaced them with Catco or Carsound give part numbers for them? I am not sure but it looks like
stock has two differntly shaped cats (round and oval body) - shouldnt replacement be same?

Thanks a lot.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Try your Idler pulley, then your alternator pulley. Those are the most common. A shade tree way of finding the source is to put a screwdriver as close to the bearing as you can and see if you can feel the roughness vibrating through

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin - thats what i did. Except i have long metal rod to do that test :) It doesnt really feel like bearing on pulley.. Pulley sppse to be whiny, not groaning like groany thing. But i will try to check it out.

I think i remembering you fixing that one with local parts from NAPA - what you got back then?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM