Key Fob Lost—need replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinlr4

Reaction score
Not a bad thought. I just wonder if I would even know where to look. I figure i have looked everywhere it could be (but apparently not).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in there somewhere. Before I plugged it with the "sausage" I linked earlier, I had my fair share of stuff disappearing down that damned black hole - no keys or phones luckily, but plenty of change, parking tickets, credit cards, e-cigarettes... Some took a few return trips, lots of head scratching, sore hands and scraped fingers to retrieve.

If you live near me (don't think so by your member name, I am near L.A.) I have one of those inspection camera devices, free of charge to use... Mine even records the video, so you can watch it on a 65" TV if you want after you are done looking around, lol.

Last edited:

austinlr4

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. But, yup, I'm in Austin, Tx.
So you have had good luck finding things with that camera which couldn't have been seen otherwise? That gives me some confidence to try it. If you snap a photo of where the black hole is that I should search, that might help. Big thanks. I love my LR4, but this is a pain!

austinlr4

Reaction score
I ordered a cheap gadget to hook up with my Mac, it's a boroscope type camera. I'll let you know if I hit paydirt. For $20 it's worth a shot.

McKinneyBB

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me.

The same thing happened to me on the first day I owned the truck. Key wound up under the black housing covering the back right portion of the lower seat. You can remove the housing with a butter knife, and the key should be visible for removal. You can use a flexible gripper from the auto parts store if needed.

I would bet money that's where it is.

austinlr4

Reaction score
I bet you are right, but no luck yet. I tried to pry off the piece, but couldn't get it to budge and I wasn't sure if it had hidden screws or just clips. If you can snap a photo of the area you think I should check, that would be super helpful. i want to make sure I'm on the right trail.
Thanks!

McKinneyBB

Reaction score
I bet you are right, but no luck yet. I tried to pry off the piece, but couldn't get it to budge and I wasn't sure if it had hidden screws or just clips. If you can snap a photo of the area you think I should check, that would be super helpful. i want to make sure I'm on the right trail.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I’m out of town away from the truck for the next two weeks. The area in question is the black plastic housing surrounding the back right seat mount. It is held on by clips, and you are correct in stating that it is hard to budge. Slip the butter knife underneath and lift up.

austinlr4

Reaction score
McKinneyBB & Umbertob- You nailed it guys! I bought a $20 endoscopic camera to connect to my laptop. It was like searching for the titanic on the sea floor, but I got it. Right where you said it would be, tucked really far back under the right rear driver seat mount. Even with the trim removed, it still couldn't be seen since it was under the seat mount. Thanks a ton for the help. Whew!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635