Land Rover "Driver Care"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Rovers....

Dealer quoting a Land Rover "Driver Care" warranty that covers the CPO '13 LR4 LUX for 5 years unlimited miles zero deductible for the following:

Keep in mind I have AAA and this is a CPO vehicle w/9800 miles

They want $860 / 5yr = 172 a year and if I go for it I'm bartering to $800

Repair / Replace / Cover taxes /
-------
Full tire replacement / repair
Wheel/rim protection up to full replacement
Mounting balancing
24 Hr roadside - tow to 25 miles
Emergency roadside assistance
Flat tire assist
Emergency Battery
Lock out service
Windshield repair
Paintless dent repair
Key remote replacement including programming

The ones that stand out, given this is a CPO and I have AAA, are the tire, rim, key replacement as the LUX is rolling 20's :wink:

Dealer made it sound as if this is Land Rover product - I'm not so sure.

Feedback appreciated :hello:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would you ever actually damage a wheel beyond cosmetics? I've driven over 400,000 miles in just Land Rovers since 1999 and never done more than a scuff to wheels except off road twice and then it was still just the lip/cosmetic.

Windshield "repair" is usually 100% covered under most insurance policies. Unless it means "replace", then that one is useless too.

Tire replacement? Really, like if damaged beyond repair? Hard to believe it wouldn't be prorated like the tire shops offer but it's not worth $800 to me.

Mounting and balancing but you buy the tire at dealer pricing....sounds more expensive to me.

Who needs towing only 25 miles? That one is funny.

I have my own battery coverage, it's called Odyssey AGM and two of them ;)

Lock out? How does one lock themselves out of a modern vehicle that is actually difficult to lock with the key inside when it's even what you're trying to do?! Like when picking up after hours from a shop and using your 2nd key.

You start with 2 keys. Keep up with your stuff.

This sounds all wonderful at first but what it really sounds like is a nice $800 profit for nothing given.

There's no way this is a true LR product. If it were I would have heard about it from either of my two primary dealers on opposite coasts in discussing CPO and warranties recently.

I guess think about all that stuff on the list, and which items you'll be goofy enough to do to yourself or have happen by pure chance with no coverage by AAA or the tire coverage from tire shops, and estimate how far keeping your $800 would go toward covering yourself over 5 years.

My guess is you'd either have to work really hard to utilize $800 worth of goof-ups or be really unlucky and forget to pay your AAA renewal. I have 200 mile AAA towing but also my BMW roadside covers me for 250 in the BMW and 100 in any vehicle I'm part of. Yet BMW recently just went ahead and covered a 240 mile flat bed for no charge.

This "Driver Care" is for suckers.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Land Rover Cary (NC) and ask for Ruben. He's been there a long time and will know about what warranties are offered on top of CPO if any. Their approach is to not automatically CPO the vehicles so that the customer can choose from 3 options:
1-standard LR CPO
2-longer extended warranty
3-none

Land Rover Asheville (NC) has been good to deal with in the past too.

Keep in mind that you do not even need to buy an extended warranty at time of purchase from the selling dealer. I bought my 07 new but then right at 50k bought an additional 4 year up to 100k miles aftermarket with $0 deductible. There are pros and cons depending on how much your drive and how long you keep the vehicle.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same ballpark as you guys... the way I drive the $$ up front isn't worth it overall. AAA/CPO will be a fine mix.

I think they are trying to make up some coin since they dropped the LR4 by $2500 bucks and a little over 5k since I've been watching it.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this sounds like a dealer upsell. Was it presented by the Finance Manager? Oddly (insanely, I should say) enough, my dealer wanted about $1700 for the "super-platinum-protection package" that sounded more or less like this. I agree with others that these are mostly unnecessary. You may have 20" wheels, but I still wouldn't call the tires "low profile".

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes provided by finance manager. But I'm not biting on that fish hook.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM