Land Rover maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have my first maintenance scheduled in the next 2-3 weeks. I was looking back through this thread and didn't find what I was looking for. My question is what is included in this first "maintenance" that is provided at the dealership? Obviously oil change, filter, etc. I just wanted to make sure I knew what to look for that they checked on or topped off, will they take a look at the brakes & rotors? Knock on wood I have had exactly ZERO issues so far.
Hey LRNewbie,

Nice to hear from you! I just had my 1 year free maintenance a few weeks ago and they checked everything you mentioned (oil change, fluid top-off, brake/rotor inspection, etc.) and rotated the tires. I know some people have said that their dealership did not rotate the tires for free, but I would imagine most do. I would just check on the tire rotation, but everything else you mentioned should be done.

Keep us posted!

-David

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

Thanks for the input! I will let you know how it all goes.

tom7

Reaction score
so here is my question.....if you are leasing why not just bring the vehicle to a reputable car mechanic and not pay dealership prices for maintenance? any mechanic can change oil and filters and if you happen to know the guy he wont sell you the story of faulty parts (e.g. brakes)......

i can not come to terms with the fact that dealerships are charging for regular service (oil, filters etc) for cars that are still under factory warranty.....

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first service was FREE so that answers that question. But going forward I guess I hadn't really thought about going somewhere else. I guess I could look into it and what kind of independent shops are in my area. But other than BMW that offers a 4 year maintenance package with a new car is there any other brand that changes oil or does routine maintenance for free????

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so here is my question.....if you are leasing why not just bring the vehicle to a reputable car mechanic and not pay dealership prices for maintenance? any mechanic can change oil and filters and if you happen to know the guy he wont sell you the story of faulty parts (e.g. brakes)......

i can not come to terms with the fact that dealerships are charging for regular service (oil, filters etc) for cars that are still under factory warranty.....

I am not against using a reputable mechanic in lieu of the dealership, but remember they must find one with the equipment and parts. There is no drain plug on a LR4 and finding wiper blades that fit LR's, BMW's and Audi's id difficult at NAPA.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But other than BMW that offers a 4 year maintenance package with a new car is there any other brand that changes oil or does routine maintenance for free????

Yes. Cadillac has a similar program available, but I don't know that it comes on all models and all years. It is in effect on my 2011 CTS-V and that reminds me that I need to get the cabin filters replaced.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first service was FREE so that answers that question. But going forward I guess I hadn't really thought about going somewhere else. I guess I could look into it and what kind of independent shops are in my area. But other than BMW that offers a 4 year maintenance package with a new car is there any other brand that changes oil or does routine maintenance for free????

Jaguar did in 2011 (...but only because they had a hard time moving those, I suspect)
Of course, it's not free but rather its built into the cost. Or maybe they make their service department eat the cost of maintenance

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how sure are you that there is no drain plug?

There is a plug, but the method used by the dealer to remove the oil is a vacuum. It is a very easy DIY with a $90 hand-pumped vacuum system.

nerve64

Reaction score
I am not against using a reputable mechanic in lieu of the dealership, but remember they must find one with the equipment and parts. There is no drain plug on a LR4 and finding wiper blades that fit LR's, BMW's and Audi's id difficult at NAPA.

Where I live there is a repair shop that specializes in British cars, LR and Jag specifically. They've been in business for over 30 years. They service vehicles without voiding the factory warranty, and charge labor rates much lower that my local LR dealer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM