Last warranty service - Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 2013 LR4 for one last checkup before my warranty goes buh-bye (46K miles... I drive a lot.) Good thing I didn't wait:

- Q361 campaign applied (the heated windshield fuses thing);

- I told them during my last oil change I thought I saw the area around the water pump leaking coolant slightly. Sure enough, it did. "Pressure tested cooling system to 15 PSI. Pressure dropped to 4 PSI within 5 minutes, coolant ingress into pump bearings housing leading to accelerated wear of mechanical flat-face seal. Replace engine coolant pump, tubes and seal. Bleed system and fill to factory specs."

- Complained of howling wind noise at high (70MPH+) speeds from LH side of windshield. "Left exterior windshield moulding warped and not fitting properly, replaced LH outer windshield moulding and verified." This trim may have been weakened a year ago when my original windshield cracked and was replaced.

- Both headrests screens of my RSE DVD system would sometimes stop showing a picture, although I could still see the DVD playing on the front monitor and hear the audio through the speakers. "Verified concern, performed software update 63 (?), performed LTB0233NAS2 DVD head cleaned." My 5-year old daughters will let me know if the problem is still there, lol.

- I complained about a faint clunk over bumps from the front end, even though I really could barely hear one I figured I would mention it as in my previous experience with the Sport the front sway bar or LCA bushings would fail about every 50/60K miles. "Road tested vehicle and verified customer concern. Diagnostic found front lower control arm bushings cracked causing premature wear to upper ball joints. Replaced both front lower control arm hydra bushings and both upper ball joints, performed alignment, adjusted as necessary, road tested vehicle to verify repair. Done". All the off-roading this car has seen so far surely has got something to do with it, but it is disheartening that Land Rover still hasn't managed to make these bushings last longer.

- My "separating" key fob case was replaced with a new case, per TSB in a different thread.

Everything done under warranty, of course.

- Got a cute 2014 Evoque loaner to play around with over the weekend. No matter what you think about its looks, it's a great little car with plenty of pickup despite the 4-cyl engine. I dig some of the minor improvements they made to the infotainment system (in particular, the stupid "Agree" nag screen before you access the satnav is gone, the TFT display between tach and speedo is very colorful and bright, and you can get a reading of PSI on each tire from it), although basically the same system as in our cars. I drove the crap out of it - about 600 miles in 4 days! - and averaged 24 MPG, not bad.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll tuck this away and in another 45K I will pull it out and make sure I'm not experiencing similar things on my MY14. ;-)

Good to know they took care of everything.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Umberto,

You are not getting an extended warranty - right?

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I'm going commando. Insurance companies seem to be doing just fine without my money, and I hate betting against my own car's reliability. Never got an extended warranty, and with only one exception (a Volvo, of all cars!), never regretted it. I never liked the idea of giving these shady companies a big chunk of money and then kinda hoping something goes wrong with my car so that, hopefully, if I ask nicely and meet all of their exacting criteria, they will give some of it back to me down the road. :biggrin:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the insurance warranty, Umberto.

My '13 has 34K miles so I might have another year if I'm lucky. I noticed I lost some coolant so perhaps my pump is leaking slightly also.

GBRover

Reaction score
I believe that there was a TSB on the water pump. My 2011 had it replaced at 58,000. I had an extended warranty, but service manager said it would have been covered due to defective pumps.

If leaking I would replace ASAP. Good luck

aj22

Reaction score
Nope, I'm going commando. Insurance companies seem to be doing just fine without my money, and I hate betting against my own car's reliability. Never got an extended warranty, and with only one exception (a Volvo, of all cars!), never regretted it. I never liked the idea of giving these shady companies a big chunk of money and then kinda hoping something goes wrong with my car so that, hopefully, if I ask nicely and meet all of their exacting criteria, they will give some of it back to me down the road. :biggrin:

Insurance is almost, by definition, not worth it, otherwise they wouldn't make any money. That said, I posted in another thread, that your regular car insurance co. might sell an extended warranty. I've only bought one once, for a hard-top convertible that I had bought in a first model year. Got lucky, or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, and had an expensive roof replacement covered by warranty.
For the LR4, I have one year to decide if I want the warranty, which is about $175/yr, with a $250 deductible. Not sure which way I'm going to go, depends how my truck "seems". In any case, far far cheaper than what Rover is selling.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$175 a year with a $250 is a bargain compared to what a buddy of mine paid. For that rate, I'd buy it. Hmm...I wonder if Geico offers it....

aj22

Reaction score
$175 a year with a $250 is a bargain compared to what a buddy of mine paid. For that rate, I'd buy it. Hmm...I wonder if Geico offers it....

I have Geico, I'll PM you specifics. I might have the details a little off, but that's close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM