Leaky Mess!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Raider4life58

My Disco II has a weird leak. It appears to be clear hydrolic fluid but I can't seem to find where it's coming from. It covers the bottom on the motor and the driveway. It's mixed with a little oil which I think is coming from the valve cover but I don't have a clue where this clear fluid is coming from... Any ideas?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could either be the normal Power Steering leak, or you may have a water leak... check the antifreeze level as well as PS level.

R

Raider4life58

No offense Joey, but it's seems to be more than a normal leak. there has been a frisbee size puddle in my drive for the last week and it's definately not water..my antifreeze level was low. My wife said the engine got hot a couple of times while I was out of town. It took a whole bottle to fill her up....it was after that that I noticed the leak.....are the two interwoven?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they are... depending on how long it overheated and how fast she shut it down... you may want to trade it off....

That being said, I would check the water pump for leaks, if not there, then either the front seal behind the water pump (you will see the water coming from that area) or look for water around the heads or the intake manifold. In any of the above, if it is bad it will be costly. Unless you work on it yourself.

R

Raider4life58

I climbed all over it and there is not water leaking just the hydro fluid. The oil leak appears to be coming from the valve cover gasket. I'll go after the PS hoses and clamps first......still trying to isolate it..... Thanx much for the help...

Kestreljr

Reaction score
The PS shouldn't be hard- just check your reservoir and see if it is low. Also, it will probably be starting to squeal when you turn the wheels if it has already lost that much fluid just in your driveway.

R

Raider4life58

ok, dropped it off with a mechanic and after several hours he tells me its the PS pump and needs to be replaced.. but. I never got any warning signs.. squeeling, hard steering, etc.... can it be the seals instead of the whole pump? He's telling me it about 8 hours of labor at $600 bucks!!....anyone got anyideas?

Kestreljr

Reaction score
Yeah- if you don't have a problem with the environmental impact, just keep filling it up every so often and go about your business. I was told that my pump had a leak, but I actually bought some stop leak PS fluid and now it either doesn't leak, or leaks very very slow.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, before you drop the big bucks on a new pump, how about trying one of those snake oil products that you add to your fluid that are supposed to stop leaks? You've got nothing to loose, right?

Kestreljr

Reaction score
I assume the "snake oil" comment from healey was directed at my post- some might have doubts about the effectiveness of stop-leak, and I know the stuff is only supposed to stop leaks with cracked tubing, but it worked. And since the bottle of stop leak PS fluid is about 60 cents more then the regular bottle of PS fluid- why not try it.

I often find that mechanics who make money on fixing cars don't like things like stop leak, and they often convince good meaning people to believe that the stuff can NEVER work as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM