Loaner car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acsubie

Reaction score
hello i have a quick question regarding warranty work performed by LR dealerships..

Basically i took my car to the dealership back in Nov to have them check out my driver's seat which rocked back and forth. Dealership informed me that i needed a new seat rail and they needed to order direct from LR..no biggie but i live 1+hr away from the dealership, so i had to arrange to get back up there..Anyway dealership informed me they would contact when the part arrived.

One month past and its now Dec. and i still did not hear back from them, so i decided to call. Dealership informs me that the seat rail was backordered through LR and it would be enough week or so. Dealership assured me they would contact me then.

Another month passes and still nothing. Again i call and dealership says oh yea we have your seat rail right here and its been sitting here for some time, i dont know why we still have not contacted you. So i setup an appointment to drop off the LR3. Before i hang up dealership tells me its going to be in the shop at least 2-3 days for the seat rail since the seat has to be reupholstered?

So i figure since it'll be in the shop a few days i'll have them look at a few other small problems that have formed in my LR3:
-HDC system fault
-rear hatch loose and rattles while driving
-rear speakers sound very distorted even with bass/treble set to low
-CD player keeps playing when i switch the source(CD to FM)

My warranty is up next month so i hope these problems are fixed and not just band-aid'd by then. So before i leave the dealership i ask them if i could get a loaner since mine will be in the shop for a few days, to which they quickly reply no! So my question is what type of warranty work entitles one to a loaner?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on your extended warranty, and your dealer. Basic service doesn't get you a loaner. Extended warranty does, if it takes too much time and your service writer knows how to do it.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I bring my car in I get a loaner, even for oil changes. My LR3 is still under warranty and I was told a loaner car is only given if you bought the car from them.

mrj115

Reaction score
My dealer will give a loaner for any service provided I purchased the car from him.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up to the store, not related to warranty. Policies vary. Arguably should not, but they do for many brands.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention your problem today. I was near my dealer today and hadn't heard from them about my tailgate strut that was ordered last month. Yep, they had it sitting there...this was the third part in a row ordered for my truck (in 3 months) that I had to check with them to see if they ever got it. No 'sorry', no 'don't know how that happened'. Just must be their policy to not give a sh*t about their customers. I absolutely LOVED this dealership when they opened. They were laid back, talkative, friendly. The salesman new you, chatted. I don't think they've demo'd their little 'terrain park' setup in years... My how management changes can affect a business....yuk.

Anyway, there you get a loaner if you bought your truck there and want to wait 3 or 4 weeks for service.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 was in the shop for a total of 22 days for a plethora of electrical problems. Not only did I not get a rental car, but my son also had his PSP stolen from the third row cubby box. Sad thing is that I realized my son left it in the back and called my service advisor the next business day and asked her to get it and put it in a safe place. When I discoverd the PSP missing and asked my advisor what happened she said that the vehicle was up on the rack the entire time and was not accessable so she could not get the PSP out. She also said that only two people had access to the truck, her and the service tech, and niether one took it... However, the dealership has a strict "no liabilty" policy.

Where has customer service and responsibility to patrons gone?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an extended warranty, check the wording. I had the local dealership inform me of their new "no loaners for customers who didn't buy with us" policy - which is fair enough. However, I still received a loaner (after a bit of a conversation), since it's written directly into the extended warranty wording.

racehorse

Reaction score
I think rental loaner indeed depends on dealership as opposed to warranty. I live in socal and LR has a very big presence -- and lots of luxury competition -- in the coastal cities so I think that has a huge impact on the types of services demanded by affluent customers. (I'm not one of them, btw.) All this is to say, you might try different dealerships to see what amenities they offer clients who drop their cars off for service. Could be that a larger dealership elsewhere offers free loaners. The dealer I use is an enterprise shop on premises.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think rental loaner indeed depends on dealership as opposed to warranty. I live in socal and LR has a very big presence -- and lots of luxury competition -- in the coastal cities so I think that has a huge impact on the types of services demanded by affluent customers. (I'm not one of them, btw.) All this is to say, you might try different dealerships to see what amenities they offer clients who drop their cars off for service. Could be that a larger dealership elsewhere offers free loaners. The dealer I use is an enterprise shop on premises.

Is that Newport Beach LR? I went there for my first service (bought the LR3 there too). I got an LR2 as a free rental from a choice of several small "luxury" SUV's (didn't like the LR2 either btw). They actually have a great program setup there. You can get a Porsche Cayenne Turbo for $100/day, the guy at Enterprise told me the cost is $600/day but the dealer pays $500/day towards that for you. They also had a Bentley Conti GP and Aston Martin Vantage Roadster available (more than $1,500/day).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72