Looking at the LR4 for a family hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sal123

Reaction score
I'm looking at the LR4 as a family hauler for 3 kids to be seated in carseats in the 2nd row (5, 3, and infant). I don't like the look of the new Discovery and it seems less rugged. Besides, I also want to spend less. I am cross-shopping the LR4 vs. the Acura MDX (also checking out Audi Q7 Honda Pilot, Volkswagen Atlas, Volvo XC90 but less convinced with these options). I want a rugged vehicle I don't have to baby much, and that has enough power for merging and passing in the crazy NYC metro area. Also has to fit 3 car seats in the 2nd row and have reasonable access to the third row for occasional use. My concerns are LR4 reliability and to some extent mileage vs. the other options. I don't want to spend too much money and time in the shop, but I understand the LR4 will be more work than the Acura. So help me alleviate these concerns or tell me I'm crazy. Also, what year LR4 should I check out and what is the max mileage I should shoot for? I want to spend 35-50k, but can do a little more if needed.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my LR4 as one of it's best attributes it is not as wide as many SUV/CUVs. This comes at a cost however as I think running 3 car seats in the back is going to very tight if not impossible unless you can locate some crazy $$$$ Euro spec stuff. I also own a Honda Ridgeline and the seating width is noticeably larger than the LR4. The MDX will accommodate three seats across the back better than the LR4. For everything else LR4> MDX lol.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention the same thing. The LR4 is tall, not wide. You can do it if you find narrow car seats, but it will be tight. You can also remove the 2nd row middle seat and use a 3rd row seat for one car seat. My kids are older, and love using the 3rd row seats, they feel like they have a limo.

Sal123

Reaction score
I'm reasonably confident we'll be able to fit 3 carseats in the 2nd row. The Diono Radian and Clek Fllo/Foonf are very narrow and the Cybex Aton infant seat is narrow as well. The 5yr year old will get into a booster at some point soon too.

Sal123

Reaction score
What is the sweet spot for year/mileage/price for the LR4? I don't want maintenance headaches. Would it be wise for me to buy an extended warranty or maintenance package? What would typical yearly maintenance run for say a 2015 LR4 with 40k miles? I'm not a car guy.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the sweet spot for year/mileage/price for the LR4? I don't want maintenance headaches. Would it be wise for me to buy an extended warranty or maintenance package? What would typical yearly maintenance run for say a 2015 LR4 with 40k miles? I'm not a car guy.

I love the LR4 but they do like their "maintenance". Mine is long out of warranty but I assume I will spend $2400 CAN ($2000 US) annually to keep her in good shape and on the road.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The LR4 is a fantastic family hauler, we actually have 2 of them now. Both are 2013's, the last year of the V8. Both have been very reliable, just water pump replacements covered under warranty.

You will go through brakes and tires every 30K miles, but this heavy vehicle provides a lot of protection for your family.

Finding a used LR4 with a CPO warranty would be a good idea. Keep in mind it is good for 6 years from original service date or 100K miles, whichever comes first. You will need to replace some front suspension parts (control arms/bushings and tie rods) at 75K miles. A CPO warranty will cover some of this.

Find an HSE-LUX or Landmark model if possible. The nicer leather, better radio, better lighting, cooler box, memory seats and more are all nice to have. Get the heavy duty package if you plan to go off road.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as NYC and area traffic goes, my 2016 LR4 does just fine. I drive it a lot in the NY metro area and have no problem passing. I particularly like the height. I think that’s a big advantage.

If you shop Manhattan LR, look for a salesman whose first name is “Roman” ( I forgot his last name and lost his card) He is very sane and sensible. They get a lot of low mileage LRs. Apparently people buy them new and soon realize they don’t need them just to go to the Hamptons on weekends.

Last edited:

Sal123

Reaction score
Am I better off buying a 2013 (since it has a V8)? It's also going to be a bit cheaper. Any advantage to getting the 2014/15/16? Better electronics or interior features or reliability?
To keep maintenance costs down, is it better to find a service package with a dealer or use a local non-dealer mechanic? Any NYC area Land Rover mechanics that are cheap and decent?
My ideal scenario would be to buy an LR4 for $35-40k with 35k miles or less and spend no more than $2000 per year in maintenance. Am I delusional or is this realistic?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72