Loosing power uphill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

Hi guys this is cool, ask a question and you actually get response you can do somthing with. 95 landy disco 1 @100,000mi going uphill in 4th gear (auto) looses power quite quickly and i have to pushes the pedal further than what i would think for it to kickdown, when it kicks down it MOVES OUT but until it kicks down it is a dog and it feels as though there is a lot of pedal that isnt responding. ANY IDEAS :albertein

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How steep/long hill you talking about?

if its above like 10 degrees, and on altitude higher than about 5K - welcome to my world. Its caused by heavy truck and underpowered engine. In a word - switch to 3rd gear and drive.

In my case (living way above 5K and on way steeper accends) sometime even 2nd gear. And sometime bloody thing will rev to 4300 rpms and produce no power even with 4.75 gears.

You can try to adjust cables if you like, you can look at performance upgrades.. :) You may need to get new cats (i know i am - at 137K) and O2 sensors.

But in general - switch to 3rd gear. All automatic transmissions i know do that on hill climbs - its adviced to either switch overdrive off or go into 3rd gear manually :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:biggrin: And don't forget the Tornado fuel saver :biggrin:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - naaah.. its only saving fuel.. what really ought to be done is cool supercharger - extra fans in intake and one to drag things out from exhaust.. :) Self propelled. They should make vacuum, right? :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I saw a supercharger for a Disco (500+ HP!) on EBay....

L

LandyLight

Thanks Guys

Andy does that Tornado thing really work ?????? :confused:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Landy Light said:
Andy does that Tornado thing really work ?????? :confused:

*thud*

Andy - see what you done? :)

I am gonna try Jacobs Electronics product next week to solve the mistery of weird idle and performance :) Another possible performance/mileage/pointless mod to try :)

Last edited:
D

discomike

Andy,
That hurt, in a weak moment, I bought a Tornedo, caused my engine to throw a code and it is sitting in its box in the shop.
We are all allowed one mistake in our lives, other than buyiny our Rovers, of course.
How's the rear bumper doing?
Mike J.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM