low coolant in 2015 LUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low coolant light when on the wife's Lux. Any issues out there that I don't know about? No leaks but checked the reservoir and it is low for sure. A bit worried having a background in the industry. There's only two ways to drop coolant and the one that isn't leaving a puddle on the floor is not good. It just passed its first birthday and has about 11k miles.

Thoughts

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low coolant light when on the wife's Lux. Any issues out there that I don't know about? No leaks but checked the reservoir and it is low for sure. A bit worried having a background in the industry. There's only two ways to drop coolant and the one that isn't leaving a puddle on the floor is not good. It just passed its first birthday and has about 11k miles.

Thoughts

Since your at 11k Id just take it to the dealer and get your concern on record. Yours could have been low from day 1. Depending on how the system was primed it could have been very close to the low side.

I had my 2011 with about 60k miles come up low on coolant one day after a long summer of 100 degree heat. I just topped off the reservoir with premix and it never came back. Could have been a fluke thing. Who knows. Im at 83k with no issues. (knock on wood)

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 showed low coolant after 2 years. Brought it in worried the pump was going. They tested it under pressure and found no problems and simply topped it off. Never had issues before or after in all sorts of weather. Car has just over 20k miles.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your at 11k Id just take it to the dealer and get your concern on record. Yours could have been low from day 1. Depending on how the system was primed it could have been very close to the low side.

I had my 2011 with about 60k miles come up low on coolant one day after a long summer of 100 degree heat. I just topped off the reservoir with premix and it never came back. Could have been a fluke thing. Who knows. Im at 83k with no issues. (knock on wood)

It's already scheduled next week for a dealer visit. Just wondering if anyone has had similar concerns. In my experience, a dealer is much more likely to address the symptoms and not the cause, which means just adding coolant and not worrying about why it is low.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's already scheduled next week for a dealer visit. Just wondering if anyone has had similar concerns. In my experience, a dealer is much more likely to address the symptoms and not the cause, which means just adding coolant and not worrying about why it is low.

Trust me, I'm the last to defend a dealer, but as an engineer, my view is that it is perfectly ok for a technician, absent any other evidence of damage or a rapid leak, to simply top off the fluid if it's just a little low.

Large losses, a puddle of fluid, or a second visit soon after, would certainly demand a more thorough test.

billj214

Reaction score
Just replaced my water pump on 2012 LR4 which was also having low coolant warnings. The issue is the oil cooler tube on the rear of the water pump leaks after a while, there are two O-rings to replace which will fix the issue. The dealer replaces the entire pump and O-rings which may as well since you have to remove it anyway.

O-ring part number LR030593.

I was out of warranty so did the work myself, took about 2-3 hours and not terribly difficult.

elrocko

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue as billj. It was a bad water pump last year, followed by intermittent top-ups throughout the year that prompted me to return to the dealer where the o-ring was replaced. I'm not sure if it was replaced initially along with the new water pump.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue as billj. It was a bad water pump last year, followed by intermittent top-ups throughout the year that prompted me to return to the dealer where the o-ring was replaced. I'm not sure if it was replaced initially along with the new water pump.

Thanks guys. I'll make sure and mention it on Friday when I have it in.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my water pump on 2012 LR4 which was also having low coolant warnings. The issue is the oil cooler tube on the rear of the water pump leaks after a while, there are two O-rings to replace which will fix the issue. The dealer replaces the entire pump and O-rings which may as well since you have to remove it anyway.

O-ring part number LR030593.

I was out of warranty so did the work myself, took about 2-3 hours and not terribly difficult.

Sweet! Good to know. Did you need instructions? What did you use for guidance if anything?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72