Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

brooksn1

re : 1987 LAND ROVER LR 90 DEFENDER

When driving the oil pressure is ok but on idle its about 5 to 10 on the gauge - the bottom end sounds ok ? Is this a major cause for concern ?

Many thanks
NB.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Dependng on the mileage on your Engine this may be normal... try cleaning out the oil pan or going to a heavier weight oil.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Then I would pull the oil pan, and clean the pick up tube. Sounds like it may be dirty... with that low of mileage it shouldn't be the pump....

B

brooksn1

Cool - thanks for all your replies - what oil viscosity is recommened by LR ?

A friend says that it could be the cam/cam bearings that are also worn. Could this also be the case ? How easy are these to change ? I imagine it'd be an expensive job. Is it damaging the engine driving with a low oil pressure problem ?

Cheers, Neil.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I run 10/40 in my Disco, but I plan to switch to maybe a 15/40 when I get over 200k on the clock... I still have a while to go.

I can damage the engine if low oil pressure, but it will make noise first. On startup, do you hear the vavle tappin? If so, clean the oil pan and screen and the pick up tube.... problem should go away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72