Lower control arm question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My replacement lower control arms and assorted hardware just arrived and I'm scheduling the install with my indy shop for this week.

The advice and experience I heard here made sense to me-- that by the time you pull everything apart, it's just as economical to replace the entire LCA assemblies versus putting new bushings in the existing LCAs. That's my plan.

Question along those lines: Assuming the current LCAs come off in good shape (don't have to be torched or cut off, and are not deformed), does it make sense to hang on to them in case this repair is required again? In that case, maybe new bushings in the old LCAs and then a swap would be in order?

My 2011MY LR4 has 75K miles. I'm pretty sure this is the first LCA service it has had. Maybe that means that the next LCA service is far enough away that this is not an issue for me.

Thoughts?

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have space to keep them I would say go for it. I just replaced mine with the poly bushings. It actually wasn't too bad of a job. I soaked the bolts with liquid wrench everyday for a week before I started after reading horror stories of trying to get them out. I live in southern California so they haven't seen a ton of weather, likely made it easier the bolts came right out with a small breaker bar. Won't know until they try to get them out I guess.

2011 lr4 about 75k when I replaced them

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My replacement lower control arms and assorted hardware just arrived and I'm scheduling the install with my indy shop for this week.

The advice and experience I heard here made sense to me-- that by the time you pull everything apart, it's just as economical to replace the entire LCA assemblies versus putting new bushings in the existing LCAs. That's my plan.

Question along those lines: Assuming the current LCAs come off in good shape (don't have to be torched or cut off, and are not deformed), does it make sense to hang on to them in case this repair is required again? In that case, maybe new bushings in the old LCAs and then a swap would be in order?

My 2011MY LR4 has 75K miles. I'm pretty sure this is the first LCA service it has had. Maybe that means that the next LCA service is far enough away that this is not an issue for me.

Thoughts?

My 2013 bushings went out in less than half the mileage yours did. Worth holding onto just in case, IMO.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAARRRG! This thread cursed me.. This afternoon I looked at the garage floor and saw the little black oil looking puddles. Smelled it, and it wasn't oil. One look under the control arms and confirmation was had.

2012 Lux, 52k on the clock. Looks like the wall art idea is looking attractive..

Stufrowin- what's your impression of the poly bushings?

Mike

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Orange ones in from Atlantic British ( I believe they are standard firmness) drastic ride difference noted when switching from the worn out original ones, much firmer can feel terrain/road surface a lot more, Not sure how they would compare to regular new replacements or to a softer polybush (blue) haven't looked recently, and I'm not even sure if there available. Overall very happy, got rid of clunks and my 55mph steering wobble, switched out ball joint when I had CA off as well. Would be crazy not to IMO.

Basically they were only a little more money and supposedly they will last several times longer than regular, as it's not really a project I want to do every 50k miles that was the deciding factor. My son's favorite color is Orange so win win.

How to video was really good from Atlantic british.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, this looks like a solid plan.. Off to Atlantic British, after I get this crap off the garage floor..:mad:

Mike

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the Orange ones in from Atlantic British ( I believe they are standard firmness) drastic ride difference noted when switching from the worn out original ones, much firmer can feel terrain/road surface a lot more, Not sure how they would compare to regular new replacements or to a softer polybush (blue) haven't looked recently, and I'm not even sure if there available. Overall very happy, got rid of clunks and my 55mph steering wobble, switched out ball joint when I had CA off as well. Would be crazy not to IMO.

Basically they were only a little more money and supposedly they will last several times longer than regular, as it's not really a project I want to do every 50k miles that was the deciding factor. My son's favorite color is Orange so win win.

How to video was really good from Atlantic british.

Did you do just the rear with the orange bushing? I noticed oil a bit ago from my bushing as well and I'm now starting to get a clunk.

Love to hear a bit more about your road evaluation now that you have had them on a bit. Im interested in these but don't want the ride to be too harsh. I know thats a relative statement but if its 20% stiffer Id probably try these. If its 50-75% Ill probably stay with OEM.

Last edited:

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did both the front and rear of the front lower control arm as well as the ball joint, (might as well when it's all off), definetely subjective with the stifness, it seemed a little on the harsh side right after I installed them, however 5k miles later I don't even notice nor think it is too stiff, handles nicely. I don't have the experience of replacing worn bushings to oem so unable to compare. Main reason for me to go with poly was promise of longevity. If I had to guess I would say once they are broken in a little they would be comparable stiffness. Website states Orange/standard firmness. (again just a guess)

Correction from earlier I replaced mine at 62k not 75k,

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did both the front and rear of the front lower control arm as well as the ball joint, (might as well when it's all off), definetely subjective with the stifness, it seemed a little on the harsh side right after I installed them, however 5k miles later I don't even notice nor think it is too stiff, handles nicely. I don't have the experience of replacing worn bushings to oem so unable to compare. Main reason for me to go with poly was promise of longevity. If I had to guess I would say once they are broken in a little they would be comparable stiffness. Website states Orange/standard firmness. (again just a guess)

Correction from earlier I replaced mine at 62k not 75k,

Copy that.

Just for clarification you went with orange on both front and rear of the LCA correct? :hello:

Im at 82k and now failing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72