LR Discovery Regular Maintenance Tips.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am very new to this LR business. I just purchased a Discovery 2000 SE7 with 53,000 Miles one week ago and I would like to get some Maintenance tips. Unfortunately she doesn’t have a service record, and I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on what I need to check and change ? Also I read about the Sea Form, is this something I should do?
I would really appreciate any feedback. :)

V

vray

Don't worry about seafoam yet, go for the basics first. I would change every fluid (oil, diffs, swivels, etc) unless you have a good reason not to (some say changing ATF on a dodgy tranny can cause it to fail...). These trucks thrive on fresh fluids and examining the old fluids will give you an idea of how things are looking internally, whether changes were neglected previously, water getting into the axel, whatever. It will also be a truck bonding experience and LR's seem to like that. Kinda like agirlfriend/wife, they got to get their pound of flesh out of you ;-)

When I change my oil, I add a quart of ATF before I drain and let her idle for 30 minutes, that does a bit of seafoam like cleaning, though maybe not as drastic. I have heard of people adding 2 or 3 quarts.

That is a nice truck you have there, good luck!

D

discoinjapan

Along with the fluids dont forget the filters( Fuel, Oil, Air, ATF ).
I would also flush the cooling sys. and probobly a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, &rotor). If you do it all yourself it shouldnt cost too much.
I would also take a look at the brake pads to see how much life they have left.
Have fun with it

M

mge_1

Ya I just bought a 00 Discovery II last week. I checked the rear diff and it was low. So I added some last week but I think I will flush it out and refill both front and rear diff fluids.

Oil changed has been done but might do it again soon. Engine was a bit dirty. That tranny fluid addition before the oil change sounds good. I'll do that from now on before oil changes. Thanks Thanks...

M

mge_1

discoinjapan said:
Along with the fluids dont forget the filters( Fuel, Oil, Air, ATF ).
I would also flush the cooling sys. and probobly a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, &rotor). If you do it all yourself it shouldnt cost too much.
I would also take a look at the brake pads to see how much life they have left.
Have fun with it

where exactly is the fuel filter in the 00 discovery II by anychance? i would like to replace that too very soon on mine. any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Info,
Could you please tell me what ATF is please and what it dose if you don’t mined.
I red in the manual that at 60,000 miles you should do a full service I guess this would include all the stuff you mentioned.

I live in Orange California can someone recommend me a place to service a Land Rove.

Thanks guys.....:)

P

pauln

I would suggest having the brake interlock switch replaced so that it doesn't leave you stranded somewhere when it refuses to shift out of park and there is no way to bypass this wonderful safety device. I wish you all the best with your new vehicle and hope that it is a good one. I've been trying to sell one for four months and have had three repairs and it seems that every time I drive it something stops working, gets loose or falls off.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone please recommend me the oils and the parts brands I should buy?
Engine Oil =
Engine Oil Filter =
Air Filter =
Differential Oil =
Brake Oil =
And any thing else I missed. Thanks….:)

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I just put the fuel injector treatment in and did like 50 miles and I got a solid Service Engine Light . Is this something I need to worry?
Did this happen because of the injector cleaner?

V

vray

Viper said:
Can someone please recommend me the oils and the parts brands I should buy?
Engine Oil =
Engine Oil Filter =
Air Filter =
Differential Oil =
Brake Oil =
And any thing else I missed. Thanks….:)

There is alot of info on this, and differing opinions. I doubt you can go wrong using LR Genuine parts, but they are more expensive and alternatives are usually available. Here is a site that will help with aftermarket re[lacement parts:
http://www.rangerovers.net/discoparts/

A site that I think is excellent regarding LR service info is robison: http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_tips.asp

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink