LR3 Air Spring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djdlr3

Reaction score
Considering purchase of LR3. Two questions: Is the air suspension also supported by shock absorbers or is there nothing under there except the air springs?

Also, anyone had the air suspension fail on them while off-roading. Recently saw a photo of the high dollar Range Rover with a failure and the body sitting on the bump stops.

I will be using the LR3 for driving down in Baja California a long ways from any help. I would not want to have such a thing happen down there. I doubt Land Rover roadside assistance extends to the backroads of Baja.

If such a thing did happen while out in the middle of nowhere what is the quick remedy to get you back home?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension has air springs, with internally mounted shock absorbers.
I do my best to wheel the wee out of my car and haven't had a failure yet. While it is possible to have a failure in the backwoods or driving to church, it is not very common.
If a failure occured out in the middle of nowhere, there is not a back-up method to inflate the suspesion. I've only seen one actual failure of the an air spring and it was unusual. In most cases the suspension issues are electrical related @ which time the electronics will not operate the suspension from the currect mode. It is a pretty involved system, and it is not field fixable, but from what I said earlier, the suspension is less failure prone then some would suggest, and the latest series of enhancements should fortify them quite a bit.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover appears to be on it's third generation software patch for the ECU (based on what I have read and compiled from various forums - NOT first hand knowledge). From all accounts, this new patch works and there have not been any suspension related faults since the patch was downloaded and installed. Most vehicles do not yet have this patch. Most vehicles have not had a problem, but there does not seem to be a comon trait that would suggest you are likely, or unlikely to have a problem. If you get an LR3, require the most current software build before you take delivery, or during your next regular 7,500 mile service.

The struts are a two component system. An internal gas charged strut like a normal car, and then the air bags wrapped around it in the place a normal coil over spring would be. You can buy replacement parts individually, or the bag and shock as a two peice kit. It's not a cheap component (I was quoted $470 a wheel!)

M

Michael

djdlr3 said:
Considering purchase of LR3. Two questions: Is the air suspension also supported by shock absorbers or is there nothing under there except the air springs?

Just to clarify, shock absorbers do not hold up the car either. Only springs can do that, either air, leaf, coil or torsen.

Michael

M

Michael

Correction: torsion

(I wish this website allowed post editing).

Michael

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike,

You can edit your messages after you post.

Once you have posted, you can go in and hit edit at the bottom of your message.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635