LR3 and high sulphur diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kpmclaren

Hi, i am interested in importing a LR3 from the uk to Jamaica, where our diesel fuel has a sulphur content of 200 ppm. I will be working in the UK for one year and would like to buy this fine speci-mine of a vehicle but i am unsure if the engine from a UK spec vehicle is robust enough to handle high sulphur diesel until it is available in Jamaica in 2009. I have searched the length and breath of the internet to no avail and would like some info on this. Recently in an article cursing the non-availability of low sulphur diesel in Jamaica an 'expert' said the following: "It depends on the engine, some of the engines prefer or require to use a low sulphur to run more efficiently. There are some models such as the Land Rover which have been designed for the global market (and higher sulphur levels) which due to the specification of their engines means they can operate with higher sulphur diesel than here," said Dr. Wright.
Is there any truth to this?

L

lr305

Based on my limited knowledge, Sulfur content in diesel has little impact on how diesel fuel is combusted, rather affect the emissions of hydrocarbons, CO , NOx and soot as sulfur is known poison for the emission control device. I would expect the there is no materials impact on the vehicle performance other than emissions.

K

kpmclaren

Do you know any country with high sulphur diesel where the discos are sold??

L

lr305

I do not have any clue on your question. Please check with LRNA or other LR officials regarding the sulfur issue.

J

jrkerns

a diesel engine made to use a low sulfur content fuel can use high sulfer content fuel. however if you do the opposite you can run into problems. the difference in high and low content fuel is lubricicity. the higher the sulfur content, the "slicker" the fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99