LR3 as third vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince217

Reaction score
Hi

Another new user here contemplating purchasing a used LR3. I am looking at LR3s lower than $20k (more like $10k - $15k), with some fairly high mileage... 90k and higher.

The LR3 would be the third vehicle in the garage. It would be used sparingly, only when going on road trips, for hauling cargo, or when we have visitors and need to get 7 people in the car. When I say sparingly... I mean it. Our other 2 vehicles (Nissan Leaf and Mini Cooper) are our daily drivers. I foresee the LR3 not doing more than 3000 miles annually... most likely less.

My wife and I have always liked the LR3 (Land Rovers in general really), and were pretty close to getting one a few years ago. I have read enough things online to know that these things can be very difficult and expensive to maintain. Yes, there are other vehicles that can fit our needs... but as others can attest, there is nothing like driving around in a Land Rover.

Is it a good idea to have an LR3 as a third vehicle for those situations? And if so, what should I look for in terms of maintenance records, things fixed, etc. in a higher mileage LR3.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Tripp2112

Reaction score
Hey Vince217 I have the same situation and just bought my 2006 LR3 a month ago. It has 106,000 miles on it but was well kept and maintained. The seller was an individual which I highly recommend rather than a used lot. That way you can get a chance to meet the person that has owned it and get a feel for their sense of ownership. in my case the seller really cared for the vehicle and serviced it correctly and diligently. So with that being said he offered his mechanic/service center and I spoke to them. nothing but praises for the regular scheduled maintenance for my vehicle. If you can find that go for it. I was also worried about the difficulty of the LR's in general but I believe they are solid vehicles if treated properly.
I am a builder and my daily driver is a Chevy Silverado which my wife hates driving when I run off with her 2014 Tahoe. So we pulled the trigger on a 3rd vehicle for me to have as an after hours and weekender. So far so good!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vince, I think Tripp gives sound advice above. You can listen for a "knock" over bumps or even when snapping the brake pedal briskly from a 5 mph idle. If that occurs the lower control arm bushings are worn out. Check out all air suspension heights, make sure the compressor works and doesn't struggle. When driving at 40 mph+, listen for differential whine.

I think your plan to use it sparingly will serve you well, but if you get a chance, DO take it off-road. You will love it that much more. That is where it shines. If I were gonna keep it on-road I'd choose a different vehicle, honestly.

vince217

Reaction score
thanks... took a test drive of an 06 HSE with 114k miles on the odometer. suspension seemed to work without any problems on all heights, and i didnt hear anything out of the ordinary... going over speed bumps, over 40mph etc.

i forgot to check what the maintenance history is, but the carfax does show it was serviced on a semi-regular basis... it just doesnt show what was done during the service. for $12k, is it a fair price?

Tripp2112

Reaction score
I think that is a reasonable price for that.
I paid $13,500 for 06 HSE heavy duty and cold weather package. 106k miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635