LR3 Offroad Wheels/Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be that the Calipers are different on the UK base models. After all, one of them doesn't even have air suspension.

Does anyone have an SE? If so, how much clearance do you have?

T

tzucc

I really don't think you want to go that much larger OD without changing the gearing.
The trick will be to get a 17" wheel with as good an offroad tire as 17" allows.
Right now, that appears to be the Bridgestone Revo, but I'm open to suggestions!

T

tzucc

I found a site with comments from some Canadian loggers who thought 'they total crap', as they put it. I think between tirerack.com and tire1010, you can get a feel for real consumer opinion.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jzk said:
"should be able to squeeze a 17 inch wheel over the calipers, but it may not be curb or rock friendly :-("

Won't the 17" be the most curb/rock friendly? Isn't that the whole point?

Yes generally that is the point. BUT, the easiest way for a wheel to fit over large brake calipers is to bow the spokes outward. Think more of a convex versus concave dish to the wheel. This makes the spokes more vulnerable, although the rim lip is pretty safe.

I've had this issue with a big brake kit on my car. In order to squeeze the smallest possible wheel onto the car for winter, had to go to a significantly more bowed wheel, and it doesn't like curbs.

I think the 17s will be a real tight fit and may create issues. Unless the offset is significant enough to move the wheel outward and eliminate clearance issues. Unfortunately, that can bring other issues :-( I'll definitely move to 17s if the right wheel/tire combination can be found. I didn't buy the LR3 for bling.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Unfortunately, that can bring other issues :-( I'll definitely move to 17s if the right wheel/tire combination can be found. I didn't buy the LR3 for bling."

Isn't it strange that we have more options in a 22" rim than in a 17"? I have emailed several UK dealerships to ask for info on the 17" rims that are standard on their 5 and 7 seat V6TD models.

T

tzucc

so the eBay vendor of the 17" rims says he confirmed with UK Land Rover that there is no fitment problemw with the US LR3.

Now we need to find the right rubber. No BFG A/T's unfortunately fit the 17" rim.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Now we need to find the right rubber. No BFG A/T's unfortunately fit the 17" rim."

What is the width of the rim?

T

tzucc

I think it's 8" or so. The Bridgestone Revo's that I mentioned earlier have rave user ratings, but the load rating is 108 and speed rating is S. Quite a bit below the OEM tires which are 111H.

Here's another option: Just got a response from bearmach.com. They said we could try the "255/55/19 Goodyear MTR which were developed for the Range Rover P322 that took part in the G4 events" Apparently, these are great on/off road tires. Not easy to find though.. been to a few tire sites and no such size exists. I'll report after more research.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM