LR3 SE '06 navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
That Kenwood looks good, but it looks like it requires quite a few additional mods for it to work properly.
i think i'll try to give that garmin unit a shot, but i need to figure out if it'll fit in the dash first. it shows as 7.4"W x 4.5"H x .9"D (18.7 x 11.4 x 2.3 cm). will measure the dash...

If anything will post updates.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. OEM Navigation is horrible. Just buy aftermarket and route the cords

Grover06

Reaction score
I see you have the Kenwood 500 GPS navigation unit. Does the unit have Bluetooth to hook up a phone to it? Also does it have an aux port to play movies from a phone? I see you also have an overhead DVD player, how was that installing, you did a good job on that looks factory.. I am looking to fill in my cubby on my 06 LR3 SE. It looks like it is a perfect fit and looks great in the cubby. Any information needed to install it to the cubby or is it just plug and play? Good job on modding your LR3 looks amazing.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you have the Kenwood 500 GPS navigation unit. Does the unit have Bluetooth to hook up a phone to it? Also does it have an aux port to play movies from a phone? I see you also have an overhead DVD player, how was that installing, you did a good job on that looks factory.. I am looking to fill in my cubby on my 06 LR3 SE. It looks like it is a perfect fit and looks great in the cubby. Any information needed to install it to the cubby or is it just plug and play? Good job on modding your LR3 looks amazing.

Thanks. You would also need to have a kenwood kos-v500 or kos-v1000 to connect the gps to the screen. Think of the kos-vxxx devices like a receiver in home stereo. It switched the audio/video sources, has 4x35w of power, and AV outs. I connected a Bluetooth receiver to the "ipod" audio input - http://goo.gl/HEbFg8

The screen install took some minor cutting of the dash plastic with a dremal tool to get the screen to sit flush and tip down. The more you cut the less sun glare you will get. The rubber mat needs to be trimmed with a razor blade or you could buy the version that comes with OEM nav.

I mounted the g500 behind the dash. The kos-v500 under the drivers seat. running the wires was probably the hardest part.

The overhead DVD screen is pretty easy install. It really only needs power and ground. If you have the KOS-v500, you already have an appropriate power and ground under the driver seat. I just pulled the wires up the B-pillar and across the headliner to the player. I also ran a set of RCAs so the DVD can play on the dash screen.

If you had an ipod/iphone video cable, that could be plugged into the kos-v500 as another video source. You would need a 2nd set of RCAs up to the overhead DVD screen to display there too.

The "H" shaped dash just pulls off. I also took the driver seat out to make install easier. I ddnt take any pics of the install, but there are some of the finish product here: https://picasaweb.google.com/117099...authkey=Gv1sRgCPvC4Irtt6CMlgE&feat=directlink

Good luck!

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Adding to this 5-year old thread in case people find this via searches. Adding OEM nav is not that hard but requires all the parts and some skill at depinning electrical connectors. The UK Discovery sites have very detailed instructions. Basically you need three wiring harnesses, two of which you only need a few wires from, plus all the hardware plus a tool like the GAP IID to let the car know its features have been augmented. The wiring harnesses and GAP tool are most expensive, the DVD and screen can be found at junk yards / ebay for ~ $100 each. While OEM nav isn't anything special, the 4x4 Information Screen isn't something you can get via aftermarket.

As for the backup camera, the LR3 firmware on the Nav screen isn't capable of supporting the backup camera input though one is there (the cranberry FAKRA connection on the back). Someone, however, figured out that if you clip the middle wire on the 7-wire connector to the Nav buttons, the system thinks it's for a Ranger Rover Sport, which did have a back up camera, and the port is activated. The screen intensity drops, but for me it's OK.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99