installing backup camera from garmin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
So, i got the Garmin GPS which comes with wireless backup camera.

this weekend we installed the camera itself, but didn't mount the GPS in the dash yet. (The gps unit is a tiny bit bigger then the opening in the center dash, so we'll need to come up with a better way to mount it one of these days)

since the camera is wireless and needs only 12v to start sending the signal, i decided not to connect it to the rear lights (when reverse is on) but instead hooked it up to the license plate light, which means that the camera turns on when parking, or head lights are on (they turn on in the garage automatically, so works good for this purpose) This allowed us not to run the wire from the rear hatch to the light, but instead install the camera and the transmitter inside the rear hatch handle assembly.

Bottom line - the quality of the camera is pretty crappy, but enough to see when something's near the bumper (i don't need HD for that :))

below are a few pictures of the process. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 71

ThinkDima

Reaction score
end result :)

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    651.7 KB · Views: 58

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something similar

I did something similar but used a wired camera I got off of eBay.

Running conductors up thru the inside one of the rubber wire surrounds at the top of the upper hatch door was not real easy but I lubricated the inside with WD-40 and that helped the conductors slip thru.

I took power off of the backup light power conductor but took it from the conductor from the inside via that little door on the rear left side before the conductor bundle went thru the rear metal to the tail light. As I recall, I took it off the wiring for the factory trailer harness as there was more slack in it just behind that door.

Attachments

• Camera mounted one light SAM_8457.jpg
    Camera mounted one light SAM_8457.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 67

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Nicely done.
I don't have factory gps in my lr3, so decided to get this setup to get gps, Bluetooth and camera at the same time.

stuck

Reaction score
I did something similar but used a wired camera I got off of eBay.

Running conductors up thru the inside one of the rubber wire surrounds at the top of the upper hatch door was not real easy but I lubricated the inside with WD-40 and that helped the conductors slip thru.

I took power off of the backup light power conductor but took it from the conductor from the inside via that little door on the rear left side before the conductor bundle went thru the rear metal to the tail light. As I recall, I took it off the wiring for the factory trailer harness as there was more slack in it just behind that door.

Hi bbyer,
I have an 08 LR3 with factory Nav. I'd like to install a backup camera to this, and everything I've read indicates I need a GVIF interface adapter ~$280 on ebay to connect a camera to it.
Questions:
Do you have the factory Nav unit?
Did you not have to use a GVIF interface adapter?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes and yes

Yes, I have the factory Nav DVD unit located under the front seat that came with my 3 along with the NAV display and 6CD-465 radio head.

Yes, I had to also purchase an aftermarket GVIF unit that connected to the rear of the factory Nav DVD unit. Regarding the term, "interface adapter", I would not say there was any actual adapter other than a cable with three ends. A plug attached to a cable that plugged into the GVIF unit also fit into the rear of the Nav DVD unit. The Land Rover cable plug end removed from the Nav DVD then plugged into the new supplied three headed cable.

I note that even though I was certain I had properly inserted the new cable into the socket of the Nav DVD, it turned out I had not pushed hard enough so nothing worked until I figured that out and fully inserted the cable end into the Nav DVD socket.

stuck

Reaction score
Thank you bbyer.
That's very helpful.
I'm considering doing the same thing with my 08 LR3.
But also researching to see if I can add another Nav computer unit to this GVIF to bypass the existing outdated one.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated Nav computer?

Please keep us informed as to your progress re an updated Nav computer.

That will not be an easy task but given that LR will not pay Navteq, (now Navigation.com), to create updated DVD's for our unit and Navteq will not do it themselves as they see no profit opportunity, we are stuck with circa 2011 data.

http://www.navigation.com/LR3_2006/...;sid=4x3M4qUuASnM4vHukLGO6q8ktLNGXKK_Ev7Lc1TN

stuck

Reaction score
This device here on eBay will work with the GVIF unit hooked up to the LR3. It claims to be able to use the existing TSD to control the device.
Only issue I see is the audio. Navigation sounds cannot interrupt existing music or phone calls because there are only 2 ways to hear sound from this device:
1. Separate speaker connected via 3.5mm jack
2. Connect to LR3's Aux input via 3.5mm jack

At $300+shipping, I don't think I'm going to experiment with it...

bbyer, I've ordered the GVIF unit with the LR3 cable... Not sure if the instructions are going to be any good. Would you mind sharing your how you have it hooked up?
I'm thinking of putting another camera on the front grille as another input on the GVIF, selectable using the toggle switch that comes with the GVIF...

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM