LR3 Skid Plates Design/Sizes etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend I was visiting a friend's mechanical factory in Monroe, WA and then it dawned on me that I can have him build me some skid plates for LR3. His factory is fully equipped with plasma cutters, welding machines, bending machines and all sorts of other stuff that I don't know the names of and bunch of sizeable steel sheets of all guages laying around.

Was wondering if I gave him sizes and designs for skid plates, he should be able to cut me some and for some other folks here who need 'em. What do you guys think?

First of I need some templates. Anyone got any? Let me know so that we can make it happen if interested. Maybe some custom stuff too :) Heck we can get some rock sliders done too if we go that route.

Trynian

Reaction score
Probably would need to have a vihicle in and measure it out. I dont think it is quite as easy as giving a few measurements based on the ones I have.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I will explore this further and see if this can be done. I was thinking maybe I can use some existing template design from someone's rig and make it work. Have some ideas but will see.

Trynian

Reaction score
Hmmm... I will explore this further and see if this can be done. I was thinking maybe I can use some existing template design from someone's rig and make it work. Have some ideas but will see.

The guys I have worked with had to do some basic traces of existing stuff and measurements. Then hand fab up a prototype and make adjustments until it fit correctly to be able to create a design for the CNC machines and benders etc.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing is impossible, just depends on the work and expense you're willing to go through. It's an interesting idea, but as noted, will require some prototyping. You could always do an initial mock-up in cardboard to get the size, shape, bends, anchor points, etc.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whydahdvr, that's a great idea. I will do some prototyping on card board. Then bring in the car to the factory and do the fitting. That will get the ball rolling for the next cuts. Just need a local rig that is fitted with skid plates to base it off of I guess, I believe that will make it a bit easier.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped install a friends Devon4x4 skid this weekend on his LR4. Unless it's perfectly lined up with the attachment holes, you're going to killing yourself trying to get things to line up. You would be better off tracing an existing design, then mocking up a jig to get all the bends correct. Better yet, just buy one that's already engineered to fit your rig. No need reinventing the wheel.

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?p...ry_id=1013082&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

The aluminum weighs a lot less than a steel option.

4advtr

Reaction score
I've built a few skidplates in my days and unfortunately it's not that simple to manufacture an attractive well thought out skidplate. I went through about 4 or 5 iterations before I finally got all the measurements right. Even then I would have to tweak things over the years to bring everything in a little tighter.

BTW, I'm speaking of DII Fuel Tank Skidplates.

Edit: I'm also a huge fan of AL skidplates. Steel is terribly unnecessary for every Rover I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink