LR3 Transmision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello every one. I have 2005 LR3 with 48.600 miles on it, I love the car but it seams to be an issue with the transmission. It seams it doesn’t want to pick up once in a while. For example I need to slow down or stop completely and after doing so I push the gas pedal and the car wouldn’t go right away. There is a few seconds delay. The tachometer arrow goes up and the transition picks up after. The dealer didn’t found anything. Any body has any ideas? Thank you.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the transmission is sort of "lazy." Try driving it in Sport mode around town and see if that doesn't help.

ceh4338

Reaction score
I've had the same problem on my 07 SE. I've taken it to the LR dealer in Dallas at least four times to try and solve the problem. Each time they say they cant duplicate the problem. Nevertheless, they have updated the software twice, reset the computer that learns the way you drive twice, and yet it still happens. It can be pretty dangerous at times when turning left against oncoming traffic and the truck wont go. LR tells me it is "normal" for the truck to hesitate. I've never had this issue w/any other vehicle, so I disagree. I've had the shop forman look at the truck, and again, nothing. No error codes, nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions. BTW, it only happens in normal drive. When I use sport, it doesn't do it, which makes me think it is a software issue.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, Centerfield...now I get it. You posted on that other thread about the "same problem" meaning the lazy transmission not the airbag light. I have to agree with the dealer on this one. That just seems to be how this transmission functions. I have seen this before in other vehicles...and the fact that putting it in Sport Mode alleviates it makes it not a big deal, to me at least.

I think in this case you're taking it to the dealer but there is nothing to "fix." That's just the way the ZF transmission in this rig works.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced this slow response also. It seems to happen when you slow down and then want to accelerate again. Seems like the transmission wants to stay in the higher gear and not downshift soon enough. Even mashing the throttle doesn't help - its just slow to respond. Whenever I can anticipate the situation, I just pull the shifter over into sport mode and that takes care of it. Much more aggressive downshifting in sport mode.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Coincidence?

My wife was just complaining to me about exactly that issue yesterday. We have a 2006 HSE with 31K mi. In one situation she was in snow/gravel mode and the car would barely move. She pulled over, shut it down and restarted and it was fine. Then last night she was making a left turn and the car would barely move. Dealer time!

m5ccie

Reaction score
Does anyone pull a trailer by any chance with their LR3 that has similar issues? I just pulled a 5500 lb trailer last week and it seems the tranny may not be adapting fast enough back to normal driving. Just trying to see if there is any common patterns in driving that could relate to this.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is what I had to do at the dealer. They did transition software update, it didn’t help. They suggested using a different gasoline. I always us the highest, but they sad that Ethanol may be evolved is this issue. I switched to the different gas station, the car runs batter without Ethanol I think, too early to say anything about transition.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some other posts on this.
In some cases it was fixed by addressing something LR calls the "California Stop." That is the truck delaying the downshift when you come to a rolling stop.

Some people have had this fixed, others not.
Mine was fixed but it came back...slightly differently, when the dealer upgraded my software to fix another issue.

Sport mode does help.

This seems like a known problem that not all dealers are on the same page about. It would be nice to know of a definitive fix for the problem, but its difficult. Some say that's the way it is, some dealers fail to recreate it, others try to fix it by resetting stored values (learning variables), and others seem to just try random things to get you out of their hair "drive it now, see if that fixed it."
Be much better if someone could say; "If you're seeing <this behavior> do <this> to fix it."

No such luck.

Search posts and you'll find a few other threads on this topic...

racehorse

Reaction score
There are some other posts on this.
In some cases it was fixed by addressing something LR calls the "California Stop." That is the truck delaying the downshift when you come to a rolling stop.

Some people have had this fixed, others not.
Mine was fixed but it came back...slightly differently, when the dealer upgraded my software to fix another issue.

Sport mode does help.

This seems like a known problem that not all dealers are on the same page about. It would be nice to know of a definitive fix for the problem, but its difficult. Some say that's the way it is, some dealers fail to recreate it, others try to fix it by resetting stored values (learning variables), and others seem to just try random things to get you out of their hair "drive it now, see if that fixed it."
Be much better if someone could say; "If you're seeing <this behavior> do <this> to fix it."

No such luck.

Search posts and you'll find a few other threads on this topic...

I have the same issue; sport seems to make it better. It seems like something we have to live with. Wonder if anyone with a RR or Sport has this delay/hesitation issue out there?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM