LR3 VS FJ Cruiser Offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surf_rover

Reaction score
Interesting to know. Is that why your car does not have the air suspension? I really like the painted door handles and plastics. Makes the car look more upscale like a Range Rover.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Jeep GC is the only mis-fit on that list....I'm not sure how that outperforms the Commander or the Wrangler Rubicon. Anyhow, other than that, I'm not sure why some posters have a problem with the list. It really comes down to drivetrain, ground clearance/angles and construction. Most of the vehicles on the list are body-on-frame construction, have locking diffs and have a 2-speed transfer case. That, with some good approach/departure/break-over angles and 8" or so of ground clearance...and what's not to like?

I know the H2 broke a tie-rod in that video, but that doesn't make it a bad offroader. I'm sure it's quite capable. It's the H2s on-road perfornance and lack-of-style that makes it a non-appealer to me.

As for the Montero, I had a '97 and it was a very nice ride. I can't say that I put it through its paces off-road, aside from camping trips and simple stuff, but I wasn't afraid to. It has all the elements necessary (see above); particularly the SR trim package with the locking rear differential. The only negative about the Montero is that, as far as I know, they switched to a uni-body construction around 2000 and I'm not sure if they ever moved back to body-on-frame. I say it belongs.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to know. Is that why your car does not have the air suspension? I really like the painted door handles and plastics. Makes the car look more upscale like a Range Rover.

No, it doesn't have air because it's base spec, and that's the way a lot of them are made for the overseas market in places like Australia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, South America, etc... However, because it's pre-production is the only reason why it's here in the USA as a base model. That was before they decided to only import the SE and HSE models. There are a number of "S" models around that were offered to LR/PAG employees in 2005, but I've never seen one for sale.

Thanks for the compliment. It's a fun truck
223585177-M.jpg

PWD2

Reaction score
I have owned a Montero, and have wheeled with the FJ's, and have a drinking buddy who is the Toyota FJ Trail Team Leader.

I don't think the LR3 is better than the FJ in off roading. They are about equal stock, but the FJ can very inexpensively be modified to be far better. You can get a 3" lift and still be in factory warranty and spec, and 6" kits are now available. There are dozens of MFR's of front and rear steel bumpers with significantly improved angles, and skid plates and rock sliders aplenty.

The earlier FJ's required a software hack to enable the rear locker AND traction control at the same time (for the front wheels), so without the hack, the LR3 has much better traction in a given situation, but the FJ has good articulation, and good angles & clearances.

However, the LR3 is WAY more comfortable to go off roading in. It has FAR better visability, and It is SIGNIFICANTLY more refined, spacious, and comfortable. Also, the LR3 has a better turning radius, and a much more powerful engine.

The Montero (no longer sold in the US), has center and rear lockers available, and great angles, but limited ride height stock. Lifts are available, and turn it into a downright nimble little billygoat. They are quite nice inside and handle off road rigours well, properly equipped and slightly modified. They are hugely popular overseas, in their more basic trim levels.

There are some photos on my website of a joint Land Rover/FJ Trail Team trail run to the John Bull Trail in Big Bear, CA: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=23

One important area you are missing is dependability on the trail. I have been out on trail and seen a couple of P38s just drop to the bump stops and have to drive out - not pretty. I have owned lifted D2 with additional strategic armouring - works great. But even that becomes maintenance issue over time with water and rocks. Bottom line is semi serious/frequent off roaders dont take sophisticated air sprung vehicles in the bush. A modified FJ, Jeep TJ/JK (Rubi is the best by far), Defender, non air Disco are good base choices. Xterras etc. can work too, but, keeping a short list here.
Having said all that I love later full size Range or LR4. I now use my Iltis for most off road trips, so torn over keeping or replacing D2. Iltis not suitable for long road trips across US to Moab/Colorado etc. so begins to rule out those great adventures. If it wasn't for wife refusing to ride in a Jeep JK I would just buy a 2012 SWB Rubi - the best 4x4 by far... Oh dear blasphemy !

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy blast from the past! I don't even recognize this site anymore!

PWD2

Reaction score
If they'd brought the v6 Diesel LR3/4 over I would likely have bought one by now.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
?????????????????????????

Last edited:

Earing2008

Reaction score
Dear god, the H2 as #2!! What a joke. I wonder on what they base their findings.

I second this comment. I am a fan of the AM General H1 but when GM took over they tarnished the Hummer name instantly with the H2. Forbes list, discredited.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9