LR3's & LED Trailer lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I have found a cheap way around the blinking stop/turn lamps when using LED tailights. I added a relay to the circuit. The coil in the relay absorbs the short 12v burst, the burst is so short that it doesn't actuate the relay. For me this is the only trick that has worked. I just used two standard automotive relays and jumped the 12v signal between one post on the coil and the common terminal on the contacts. For those that may actually use this method here are the color/terminal designations based on the 4 wire setup....
White (From Truck) - To 85 on both Relays and continue on to the trailer (This is the Ground)
Green (From Truck) - To 86 & 30 on Relay one
Green (To Trailer) - To 87 on Relay one
Yellow (From Truck) - To 86 & 30 on Relay two
Yellow (To Trailer) - To 87 on Relay two
Brown needs to go straight through this circuit and isn't used by the relays (Running Lights)

I could draw a wiring diagram as well for anyone that is interested, I'm not sure how I can get it posted for all to see though I can e-mail it.

Last edited:

dorman hill

Reaction score
Super old post but I found it and used the info to stop my LE trailer lights from blinking when connected to my 2006 LR3. went from incandescent to LED on my boat trailer at a substantial premium then found they blinked. I ordered two relays from Amazon with wired sockets $8.00 in the door. This allowed me to use wire nuts for the installation. I had built my own wiring harness when I bought the truck and installed a Walmart 7 pin + 4 Pin socket ($15) so I wasn't cutting up a $150 wiring harness. Blinking is gone but I do not have the trailer symbol showing when I activate my turn signal. Can't tell the difference in towing with or without the trailer symbol on so I am OK with that. Boat is not to heavy and it is the only thing I tow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90