LR4 20" Wheels and Tires Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdecks

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the landrover forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2010 LR4 HSE and I want to upgrade my tires to something more rugged, knobbier, for light off-roading and to look a little tougher. Based on the research I've done it looks like the best option is to get new 20" wheels or 18" wheels to have the greatest tire options. With that said, my questions are:

(1) I prefer to get the 20" landrover wheels. Found them used on ebay in good condition. If I swap these for my 19", will there be any addtional upgrades required? Do I need johnson rods or anything to avoid rubbing? I'm not looking for monster tires or a lift, just something similar to the BFG ATs that will work well and handle well. Any suggestions on the tire size if I go this route?

(2) If I go with the 18" wheels (also found on ebay), I plan to get the BFG AT 18" tires. Just concerned that these will actually be smaller than my existing tires but i've heard they handle better. Is this true?

If you were considering this, what would you do? Thank you to anyone who can provide some insight.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with 20" wheels, you wont have much sidewall at all, which is bad for off road. You can go about as big as 32" rubber before you rub and need to modify more things. With 20" wheels, that doesnt give you much room to work with.

Go with 18" if you can. I have a set of the Compomotive 18" PD wheels being shipped.. and some 265/65/R18 rubber. Lots more sidewall to work with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635