LR4 Brake Problems and LR support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can totally see how after a number of days in the shop, continued repairs for the same issue and a lack of fixing the issue would send someone off the deep end.

I'm not sure I have ever replaced the rotors on a vehicle before 60k of drving. Generally, I'm not that aggressive of a driver so maybe that is what keeps my rotors and pads from going out so early. The vehicle that I traded in on my LR4; I did have to replace the rotors and pads prior to getting rid of it. Every vehicle, truck or car has always went at least 60k on the original pads and rotors. Even my german cars...

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, and when and where they want to voice it is one of the values we hold true. What better place to find an empathetic ear on Land Rover woes than a Land Rover forum. Nobody seems to get upset when we talk about how much we love our LR4s; we sing thier praise every day. I don't love hearing about situations like this; I will admit it makes me a bit nervous for the future. But I am committed to my LR4 for the next 40 payments, so i better like it.

I may have some unrealistic expectaions, but I can tell you one of them is not around fixing my truck. That is an expectaion of mine. Weather or not that happens as quickly or not is where I may get a little mariginal. If I have some of the issues the OP has in this thread, I would be hopping mad too.

I guess time will tell for the rest of us. Hopefully we all got the good ones off the line. If not, lets hope the dealer and parent company can get things ironed out for us.

Rob

DennisL

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input on my costs question.

I can also see why scottd132 is upset with LR. This is our 3rd. First two were a series 1 Disco & series 2 models. Both were kept for 40,000+ miles with no tire, brake, or rotor replacements. Pretty much bullet proof with some quirky problems. While this (LR4) is a extremely good vehicle, there is ample room for improvement from ALL fronts ( Vehicle, Dealer, & Manufacturer). What saddens me is that the manufacturer is in a position to control a segment of market with this vehicle and it instead turns the other way to remedy these & other problems!

Thanks again,
Dennis

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my LR3 HSE like it's a race car and 0.0 warped rotor issues. Rotors last me about 25K (not alot) before they were worn below minimums, BUT no warping.

I suspect whoever is putting your wheels on is not evenly torquing wheels. Big reason for warpring.

BTW Land Rover is not crap, nor is their customer service crap. They have bent over backwards for me at times (and like you, this is my 3rd rover purchased new at a dealer). Maybe you need to have a different attitiude with them - Ive had all sorts of cars, and LR treats me like a king, or at least a prince. And I can be a high maintenance pain in the rear too... but it's all business.

I would agree here, I took my LR3 in last week for basic warranty service and had a list of 8 other things for them to fix and they fixed 7/8 with no questions and I didn't buy my LR3 there and this was the first time I'd been there, but they took damn good care of me. I was surprised how good the service was. The only thing I was ****** about was getting an LR2 loaner for the day rather than an LR4. :beer:

scottd132

Reaction score
I took it in this last week, they put another new set of rotors on it. The service writer told me they would not do anything going forward and that it was my driving.:mad:The manager got involved, told me Land rover is aware that the pads are too hard and causing rotor warpage on LR4's most people do not have enough miles on them yet. He said he beleives Landrover is developing a softer compound pad. Manager is being great about it but his service writer should be somewhere else. I replaced my own brakes for years while he was in diapers before I could afford not to spend my own time doing it.

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
Hey nolift911, any idea what a 2011 LR4 should be torqued at. I just got one and have less than 200 miles on it and would love to avoid this rotor problem by torquing the wheels correctly.

Thanks for you help!

Dan

Your issue is with lug torque - there is nothing wrong with the rotors and they are big enough to handle heat dissapation. The monkey's at the dealership (due to laziness, ignorance or speed) put your new rotors on and then torque the lugs to whatever the las monkey had the impact gun set too.

Lugs should always be tightened with a torque wrench by hand...

You can test this theory by seeing how tight your lugs are...you may be able to loosen them all, jack up the wheel, and torque them properly - if your rotors are not too bad off it may take care of it but my guess is they are warped already. If that is the case get replacements and torque them propperly - your issue will go away.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find the torque specs, but I have always started with 70 foot pounds for all the lugnuts and then went to 100 foot pounds to finish them off. The LR4 might be a bit higher for the final setting.

I'll see if I can find the specs and post them.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I found it in the manual: book says 140 NM. That equals about 103 foot pounds of torque.

Rob

p-dawger

Reaction score
You should be fine with 100lb - I do all of my cars that way with no issues.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count Laszlo;111492 Anyway... having rotors needing replacement at 20K is nothing out the ordinary (with just about any car) r![/QUOTE said:
Your comment stuns me!! We have owned countless vehicles over the years and have never had to replace the rotors on any vehicle. I seldom keep a car three years but every one I sold or traded had well over 20k miles. Not one has required brakes. Just in the last 10 years besides pass cars they included a Tahoe, a Navigator, a X-3, two X-5's and a Q5.

I really like my '11 LR4 but was never anticipating spending $1200 on brakes in the first two years if what you say is true.

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM