Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy to accept your rude and condescending tone if you will please cite your qualifications.

I happen to agree. Why does this conversation have to be so hostile?

Statements that are based in fact loose credibility when they are posted in a hurtful way.

just my two cents but can't we all be civil?

Marty

TangoRed

Reaction score
Has there been any update on brake pad consumption? It'd be nice if there was an aftermarket solution to this issue. That's a lot of money to spending on a regular basis...

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please Read!!!!!!!!!!

Has there been any update on brake pad consumption? It'd be nice if there was an aftermarket solution to this issue. That's a lot of money to spending on a regular basis...

Okay, here's the ****! THERE'S NO ISSUE! My wife's LR4 HSE LUX now has over 19000.00 miles, and the breaks and rotors look like NEW! I had to take it in to the dealer in June for it's one year physical, and the tech inspected my breaks and stated that they looked like new. I also just had to take the truck back to the dealer in Oct. for a minor interior piece issue, and while it was in, I asked them to reinspect the breaks yet again. The comment from the service manager is that they STILL LOOK LIKE NEW WITH MINIMAL WEAR!!!! My wife drives probably about 70% in town if not more. This truck in not babied. LR stated the breaks were updated when the redesign from the LR3 took place for 2010. Why can't people just except that! I absolutely DON'T believe anyone has truly had to replace their breaks yet on an LR4 while under normal use (say under 40 or 50K miles. If you did it's because you drive like *&%^*&^, and or you have another issue going on, PERIOD!

Going back to what the service manager said, I asked him what they thought would be the useful life of these newly designed brakes and he said 40 - 50 maybe even 60K +. Depends on usage.

So to sum up. Unless you've got photo's, or copies of paid invoices to prove you just dropped $1000 + to replace these brakes on the LR4, I DON'T believe it ever happened. Sorry, but no proof, no issue.

Oh, and an update. Dec. will make 18 months, 19K + miles, and only one real issue (the interior plastic parts) have given me any problem that required an unscheduled dealer visit. Even that was minor and could have waited except that these vehicles don't have to go back for scheduled stops for about once a year (mileage dependent). One of the very best (most reliable) vehicles I've owned.

I'm FREAKIN sick of hearing people cut down LR, saying their NOT RELIABLE. Thats simply not true.

Joe

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the comment about driving with 2 feet as a heavy driver. I make no excuses about that. It is not a good way to do it but i have been doing it for 30 years now, it is not going to change by much. No, i have never rear ended anyone in my life. (smile) Also i have to admit i have owned several vehicles..this my 2nd "truck" and the pads ALWAYS lasted at least 20K and i changed my rotors on my previous truck ONCE in 4 years.

HOWEVER, i just took my LR4 into the dearlship for my 2nd oil change (1st one-12,475 miles & current 20003 miles) and the service guy told me that my REAR pads needed changing. I explained to him that i had changed FRONT AND REAR at 12K and now only the rear needed to be changed 8k later? I was told on my first brake job that when the pads go bad on the LR4's that you needed to change them all at the same time. Now this service guy is telling me that is not true.

Oil change, Rear brake pads=$610.00. By the way he said my rotors looked fine and my front pads looks like i can get another 5k out of them. He said Landrover is recommending all LR4's be brought in every 6 months because they are seeing a pattern of brake wear on them. Yes he said it...a pattern. I am not accusing anyone of a profit schemes but obviously something is amiss here. Something was designed wrong. I STILL love my truck. 2 rear brake pads replacements at 20K? FYI. Manhatten Land Rover, Paul for ref.

I CALL BS! My dealer says the exact opposite and I have no issues with my wife's LR4 with over 19K miles on it. Breaks still look like new. Mostly in town driving, stop and go. No trailering, but we don't baby it either. Either you have another problem going on, or you're full of BS or your dealer is. Sorry, but that's my take and experience. I have no ax to grind.

Joe

p-dawger

Reaction score
Okay, here's the ****! THERE'S NO ISSUE! My wife's LR4 HSE LUX now has over 19000.00 miles, and the breaks and rotors look like NEW! I had to take it in to the dealer in June for it's one year physical, and the tech inspected my breaks and stated that they looked like new. I also just had to take the truck back to the dealer in Oct. for a minor interior piece issue, and while it was in, I asked them to reinspect the breaks yet again. The comment from the service manager is that they STILL LOOK LIKE NEW WITH MINIMAL WEAR!!!! My wife drives probably about 70% in town if not more. This truck in not babied. LR stated the breaks were updated when the redesign from the LR3 took place for 2010. Why can't people just except that! I absolutely DON'T believe anyone has truly had to replace their breaks yet on an LR4 while under normal use (say under 40 or 50K miles. If you did it's because you drive like *&%^*&^, and or you have another issue going on, PERIOD!

Going back to what the service manager said, I asked him what they thought would be the useful life of these newly designed brakes and he said 40 - 50 maybe even 60K +. Depends on usage.

So to sum up. Unless you've got photo's, or copies of paid invoices to prove you just dropped $1000 + to replace these brakes on the LR4, I DON'T believe it ever happened. Sorry, but no proof, no issue.

Oh, and an update. Dec. will make 18 months, 19K + miles, and only one real issue (the interior plastic parts) have given me any problem that required an unscheduled dealer visit. Even that was minor and could have waited except that these vehicles don't have to go back for scheduled stops for about once a year (mileage dependent). One of the very best (most reliable) vehicles I've owned.

I'm FREAKIN sick of hearing people cut down LR, saying their NOT RELIABLE. Thats simply not true.

Joe

What he said.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Joe

thanks for the post, but your example is a single user compared to the few that's complained about early brake wear here. there are a lot of variables that can contribute to both sides, but i am pretty certain no brake will last 50k to 60k when driven regularly, especially for a heavy truck with 375hp. i've owned many cars before and non have started squeaking at 12k. just saying.

people are stating early brake wear from their experience just as they state every other problem posted on the forum. this is why the forum is here.. for us to share woes and troubleshoot. do they need to supply receipts as well? is this all some sort of LR smear campaign or propaganda? what's the point of calling bs?

how many dealerships do you think will actually tell you about the real problems of the car outside of service bulletins and recalls?

they spent all that money on these cars, i believe they are entitled to complain about the shortcomings of their investment just as much as you are entitled to your praises. but that's all besides the point and we are getting off topic.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Shortcomings of their investments"???? WOW!!!

thanks for the post, but your example is a single user compared to the few that's complained about early brake wear here. there are a lot of variables that can contribute to both sides, but i am pretty certain no brake will last 50k to 60k when driven regularly, especially for a heavy truck with 375hp. i've owned many cars before and non have started squeaking at 12k. just saying.

people are stating early brake wear from their experience just as they state every other problem posted on the forum. this is why the forum is here.. for us to share woes and troubleshoot. do they need to supply receipts as well? is this all some sort of LR smear campaign or propaganda? what's the point of calling bs?

how many dealerships do you think will actually tell you about i am pretty certain no brake will last 50k to 60k when driven regularly, especially for a heavy truck with 375hpthe real problems of the car outside of service bulletins and recalls?

they spent all that money on these cars, i believe they are entitled to complain about the shortcomings of their investment just as much as you are entitled to your praises. but that's all besides the point and we are getting off topic.

You sound a little like someone that may be here for a "smear campaign"? I leased my LR4 because I happened to have several friends that have owned / leased RRS's and LR3's over the past 5 years or so, and they have enjoyed near trouble free usage of said vehicles during most of their ownership. That gave me the confidence to try the brand as well. I can only conclude that the brand has made many strides in the "reliability" dept. as of late, as my experience and others I personally know have really enjoyed owning these vehicles and have NOT experienced the multitude of issues that many here discuss. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I'll simply state that I firmly believe they are "just as good" as anything else you can go out and purchase today. All vehicles are subject to glitches, issues, and defects. I'll stick with my "I call BS" until someone can prove to me that they are having all these "phantom" issues I keep hearing about. My brakes are fine.

Oh, I love your statement, "I'm pretty certain no brakes will last 50 to 60K miles when driven regularly". That's a good one! "I'm pretty certain that's BS"!

Joe

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound a little like someone that may be here for a "smear campaign"? I leased my LR4 because I happened to have several friends that have owned / leased RRS's and LR3's over the past 5 years or so, and they have enjoyed near trouble free usage of said vehicles during most of their ownership. That gave me the confidence to try the brand as well. I can only conclude that the brand has made many strides in the "reliability" dept. as of late, as my experience and others I personally know have really enjoyed owning these vehicles and have NOT experienced the multitude of issues that many here discuss. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I'll simply state that I firmly believe they are "just as good" as anything else you can go out and purchase today. All vehicles are subject to glitches, issues, and defects. I'll stick with my "I call BS" until someone can prove to me that they are having all these "phantom" issues I keep hearing about. My brakes are fine.

Oh, I love your statement, "I'm pretty certain no brakes will last 50 to 60K miles when driven regularly". That's a good one! "I'm pretty certain that's BS"!

Joe

it's nice you are getting reliability confirmation from your friends. i mean, dont get me wrong, i bought the car, dont you think i want a fully reliable car? in fact, if you've done your research before getting this car, there wasnt enough data to confirm reliability because it's a new model. however, the general reliability of the LR has always been bad. i too heard from my friends. they are called car and driver, kbb and other sites you would (and should) visit when researching your car.

just because you havent had any issues (doesnt seem to be the case as per your other posts) doesnt mean the car is perfect. that's just a bit... noob.

the issues arent phantom. people have experienced them and repaired and posted on this forum. this is why we are having this discussion. i am not sure how that little fact escaped you.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's nice you are getting reliability confirmation from your friends. i mean, dont get me wrong, i bought the car, dont you think i want a fully reliable car? in fact, if you've done your research before getting this car, there wasnt enough data to confirm reliability because it's a new model. however, the general reliability of the LR has always been bad. i too heard from my friends. they are called car and driver, kbb and other sites you would (and should) visit when researching your car.

just because you havent had any issues (doesnt seem to be the case as per your other posts) doesnt mean the car is perfect. that's just a bit... noob.

the issues arent phantom. people have experienced them and repaired and posted on this forum. this is why we are having this discussion. i am not sure how that little fact escaped you.

Good for you! Glad to hear you believe everything that's written / posted on the internet! After all, if someone posted it, it must be true, right! Amazing, I never new every review was 100% accurate and truthful. Thanks for setting me straight! Lets just leave it at, "My vehicle has been great. No brake problems here!"

Cheers and peace out dip sh@#$%!

Sincerely,

The Noob!

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you! Glad to hear you believe everything that's written / posted on the internet! After all, if someone posted it, it must be true, right! Amazing, I never new every review was 100% accurate and truthful. Thanks for setting me straight! Lets just leave it at, "My vehicle has been great. No brake problems here!"

Cheers and peace out dip sh@#$%!

Sincerely,

The Noob!

I find it laughable that you are criticing my online and published sources when you get your reliability report from your friends. You must be new to car ownership, the Internet or both. This must be the comic relief of the forum. Hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo