Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p-dawger

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's suggesting a conspiracy issue here and I don't think there's as much drama as your post would suggest.

We are simply discussing an event.

Event: Required replacement of rotors at 15K. If you think that's normal, then fine.

Also: I believe you are incorrect in your assesment that car manufactures make no profit on repairs.

Thanks,

Marty

Getting to the root cause of the issue - what exact event led you to believe you needed to replace your rotors? Was the lip of the rotor out of the serviceable range per a state inspection? or were they warped? Fronts, rears, all 4? What dealership was this?

In any event - they should have been covered under warranty at 15k.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes

McFly - you in there?

Case hardening? What exactly is that? Never heard of that term in reference to rotors. Are you talking about the metalurgy of the rotor and the sand casting method used to produce them?

If you are going through brakes every 12k - you are driving with two feet. Period.

Also - "huge profit center for Land Rover" Might want to recheck that. Land Rover is in business to make and sell cars - not service them. There is zero "profit center" in replacing brakes or anything else on a vehicle. They sell them and "happen" to have a service center - so they can sell more of them. (And do warranty work (which happens to fall into the same "profit center" as brake repair. Do you actually kow what the profit margins are on repair shops? Slim and slimmer.

It's hysterical that people think that there is a conspiracy theory for car designers to build in premature part failure. They want you to buy new cars - not replace parts on the old ones. :tongue:

BTW...we did really land on the moon.

I can appreciate the comment about driving with 2 feet as a heavy driver. I make no excuses about that. It is not a good way to do it but i have been doing it for 30 years now, it is not going to change by much. No, i have never rear ended anyone in my life. (smile) Also i have to admit i have owned several vehicles..this my 2nd "truck" and the pads ALWAYS lasted at least 20K and i changed my rotors on my previous truck ONCE in 4 years.

HOWEVER, i just took my LR4 into the dearlship for my 2nd oil change (1st one-12,475 miles & current 20003 miles) and the service guy told me that my REAR pads needed changing. I explained to him that i had changed FRONT AND REAR at 12K and now only the rear needed to be changed 8k later? I was told on my first brake job that when the pads go bad on the LR4's that you needed to change them all at the same time. Now this service guy is telling me that is not true.

Oil change, Rear brake pads=$610.00. By the way he said my rotors looked fine and my front pads looks like i can get another 5k out of them. He said Landrover is recommending all LR4's be brought in every 6 months because they are seeing a pattern of brake wear on them. Yes he said it...a pattern. I am not accusing anyone of a profit schemes but obviously something is amiss here. Something was designed wrong. I STILL love my truck. 2 rear brake pads replacements at 20K? FYI. Manhatten Land Rover, Paul for ref.

p-dawger

Reaction score
Something was designed wrong.

You cannot drive with two feet. No matter how much you think you are not utilizing the brakes with your foot resting on the brake pedal...you are..... and of course they will wear twice as much along with significantly degraded gas mileage and other premature failure of parts, calipers, slides etc due to heat.

Funny part about your post is the amount of added expense and wear and tear on your vehicles over the last 30 years - you probably could have rear ended someone once a year, every year and still been ahead vs the expense of driving with your brakes on. So if you are saying you drive incorrectly to avoid a rear end collision - it does not hold water. Maybe instead of saving for new pads in the future, invest in a driving instruction course to learn how to properly drive a vehicle along with saving much wear and tear on our environment.

There is no "design flaw".

It's like a preganancy test, they are 99.9% accurate....that .1% needed to make it 100% accurate is user error, as in people do not read the results correctly.

If you use a product as intented - it works....as intended.

Last edited:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes

You cannot drive with two feet. No matter how much you think you are not utilizing the brakes with your foot resting on the brake pedal...you are..... and of course they will wear twice as much along with significantly degraded gas mileage and other premature failure of parts, calipers, slides etc due to heat.

There is no "design flaw".

It's like a preganancy test, they are 99.9% accurate....that .1% needed to make it 100% accurate is user error, as in people do not read the results correctly.

If you use a product as intented - it works....as intended.

I got you...i was only joking when i said i brake with "2 feet". I was really meaning i drive it like a sports car at times...well probably most of the time. I don't disagree with what you are saying but i have to state what i was told at the dealership by a service tech. If he told me there is something amiss with an increase in brake pad replacements...i guess i should take his word. Especially since i have never had another vehicle need 2 brake pad replacements at 20K. However for me enough of the brake pad talk...i LOVE the truck and i still plan to drive the hell out of it until the Hybrid model comes out! (smile)

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main question has still been unanswered.

Under normal operation, is it acceptable to expect to change the rotors at 15K miles?

My opinion is that it is not.

Marty

p-dawger

Reaction score
There is no reason to replace rotors at 15k - they do not need to be and should not be replaced at that mileage, unless they have been over torqued and are warped. The only reason a brake rotor would wear to the point of needing replacement is that aftermarket, more aggressive pads were used. I have close to 30k on my LR4, there is not even a noticeable lip on the edges of the rotors, pads have half life left.

If any dealership for is replacing rotors at 15k and making you pay for them, you should contact LRNA.

Last edited:

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to replace rotors at 15k - they do not need to be and should not be replaced at that mileage, unless they have been over torqued and are warped. The only reason a brake rotor would wear to the point of needing replacement is that aftermarket, more aggressive pads were used. I have close to 30k on my LR4, there is not even a noticeable lip on the edges of the rotors, pads have half life left.

If any dealership for is replacing rotors at 15k and making you pay for them, you should contact LRNA.

Thank you!

Marty

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score

Talking about my former Disco II here, when I would go in every 11k and be told I needed pads and rotors, I didn't just take the guy's word for it. I called BS and told him I wanted to see for myself. I went back to the service bay and had the tech mike them for me while I watched, and indeed they were worn. Rapid brake wear is a common issue with Discos, and over a span of time, with trial and error and the input of many different drivers shared on forums, it came to be known that the issue was a mismatch of the rotors and pads, and that the "genuine" pads were eating through the case hardening of the "genuine" rotors.

For those who don't know what case hardening is, it is a process of heating a metal part until it nears the point where it will soften, and then quenching it in oil or some other fluid. The result is that the outer skin of the part will be hardened while the inside is not. The benefit is that the hardened outer skin is less susceptible to wear, but the entire part still remains ductile and not brittle, as it would be if it were hardened all the way through.

The trial and error reporting process revealed that certain combinations of aftermarket rotors and pads would yield good performance, providing a better balance of stopping power, lifespan, and noise than stock parts. When I sold my Disco it had Brembo rotors and Ferodo pads which were still going strong at 22k miles - twice the lifespan of genuine, and that's with the same driver and driving habits. That certainly contradicts the statement made prior that premature brake wear is an issue of driving style, "period." :wink:

As time passes and more LR4s get wheeled by intrepid off-roaders who do their own wrenching, a good combination of aftermarket brake components will be established and the problem will be solved.

It amazes me that anyone could believe that the LR dealership doesn't make a profit on pad/rotor replacement, especially considering that they charge almost twice as much for the job as an independent shop. :rolleyes:

p-dawger

Reaction score
Talking about my former Disco II here, when I would go in every 11k and be told I needed pads and rotors, I didn't just take the guy's word for it. I called BS and told him I wanted to see for myself. I went back to the service bay and had the tech mike them for me while I watched, and indeed they were worn. Rapid brake wear is a common issue with Discos, and over a span of time, with trial and error and the input of many different drivers shared on forums, it came to be known that the issue was a mismatch of the rotors and pads, and that the "genuine" pads were eating through the case hardening of the "genuine" rotors.

For those who don't know what case hardening is, it is a process of heating a metal part until it nears the point where it will soften, and then quenching it in oil or some other fluid. The result is that the outer skin of the part will be hardened while the inside is not. The benefit is that the hardened outer skin is less susceptible to wear, but the entire part still remains ductile and not brittle, as it would be if it were hardened all the way through.

The trial and error reporting process revealed that certain combinations of aftermarket rotors and pads would yield good performance, providing a better balance of stopping power, lifespan, and noise than stock parts. When I sold my Disco it had Brembo rotors and Ferodo pads which were still going strong at 22k miles - twice the lifespan of genuine, and that's with the same driver and driving habits. That certainly contradicts the statement made prior that premature brake wear is an issue of driving style, "period." :wink:

As time passes and more LR4s get wheeled by intrepid off-roaders who do their own wrenching, a good combination of aftermarket brake components will be established and the problem will be solved.

It amazes me that anyone could believe that the LR dealership doesn't make a profit on pad/rotor replacement, especially considering that they charge almost twice as much for the job as an independent shop. :rolleyes:

Hysterical and fictional. I have an 01 Disco II with 198k on it. I have changed the front pads 4 times and the rears 5 times, rotors every other time...do the math.

Once again....it's driving style. Those going through pads on a Disco II at 11k. Needs a drivers ed class on how not to 2 foot brake.

Case hardening problem, No such animal. For those folks that don't actually work on their cars, or work at a dealership that service cars, or know profit margins of dealerships etc. They really should not comment on such. The very fact you are not mentioning caliper seals or caliper overhaul (slides/piston seals) with simple pad replacement every 11k - your dealership is soaking you...every 11k. You just dont get it.

Yes - by definition you support the LRNA profit center of brake pad wear and replacement, and I am sure they thank you for all of your hard work.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I'll be happy to accept your rude and condescending tone if you will please cite your qualifications.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4