LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I just joined the forum and am in negotiations for a brand new 2013 LR4 HSE. However, no available cars on the lot (or within a 500 mile radius) have the Vision Assist. So, I'm stuck with halogens if I buy the LR4.

I've had xenons for the past 12 years and my loaner has halogens which I am not impressed with. I'm coming from a L322 Range Rover that I owned for 8 years. I will miss her but I find the LR4 size and capability (and fun factor) to be more attractive.

Anyway, I think this thread is great but it could be even better if someone would post the beam throw pattern from inside the car while pointing the vehicle towards a solid wall at night. Also, if you post the picture of the throw pattern, please indicate which bulb it is for (ex: HID or Philips H11s). I think this would help folks on the fence make an even more informed decision.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just joined the forum and am in negotiations for a brand new 2013 LR4 HSE. However, no available cars on the lot (or within a 500 mile radius) have the Vision Assist. So, I'm stuck with halogens if I buy the LR4.

I've had xenons for the past 12 years and my loaner has halogens which I am not impressed with. I'm coming from a L322 Range Rover that I owned for 8 years. I will miss her but I find the LR4 size and capability (and fun factor) to be more attractive.

Anyway, I think this thread is great but it could be even better if someone would post the beam throw pattern from inside the car while pointing the vehicle towards a solid wall at night. Also, if you post the picture of the throw pattern, please indicate which bulb it is for (ex: HID or Philips H11s). I think this would help folks on the fence make an even more informed decision.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

I had a 2011 LR4 HSE with the halogens and was completely NOT impressed with the visibility, so I replaced them with the H11 Philips Crystal Vision and that was a bit better, but still NOT like HIDs. So, I ended up going with a DDM tuning HID kit and it was much better - very similar to the stock HIDs, but a tad bit bluer (I had the 35W, 5,000K slim ballast kit). The visibility was awesome and I was very happy.

I actually traded in my 2011 for a 2013 that I special ordered. I got the HSE Lux package, so it came with HIDS, which was a must for me - I wanted the HID lights for sure since they are a huge improvement over the halogens.

My advice is if you get a good deal on a 2013 and can live without the other options in the Vision Assist package, then you can always get an HID kit to have your HID lights. I know there are some drawbacks to an aftermarket kit, but a lot of people on the forum did the switch and it's great (the best $50.00 upgrade!).

As far as pictures, I will dig through my photos if I can find some that show the difference between the halogen and the HIDs and try to take a picture of my stock HIDs against a wall for you. In the meantime, I am sure others on the forum will be able to help as well. Either way, I think the HIDs are a must and an aftermarket kit is definitely worth it if you don't care about the other Vision Assist options.

Good luck!

-David

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, thanks.

I am actually very interested in the Philips H11 halogen beam pattern versus the aftermarket HID xenon beam pattern against a solid wall.

My concern is that the aftermarket HID xenons do not have that razor sharp top edge horizon/line from left-to-right but merely a circular pattern on the horizon. If the aftermarket HIDs do have that left-to-right straight line sharp edge on the horizon, I'm sold :)

Apologies in advance if that does not make sense :/

Andrew

RedGTS

Reaction score

You can get the xenons without getting Vision Assist. They are also part of the HSE Lux package; you just won't have the extra cameras, etc. for off-road maneuvering. Finding one with Lux will be a lot easier than finding one with Vision Assist.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the xenons without getting Vision Assist. They are also part of the HSE Lux package; you just won't have the extra cameras, etc. for off-road maneuvering. Finding one with Lux will be a lot easier than finding one with Vision Assist.

Yes thanks, I definitely knew that about the LUX line :) Unfortunately, none are on the lot and I no longer have the luxury (or time) of hassling with out of state purchasing. I have run into roadblocks where Land Rover has territorial restrictions. I'm baffled.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look all over the country to see what's in stock elsewhere...my LR3 came from PA (1,200 miles away) and for $1,000 was loaded on a flatbed and brought to me..only downside was there was no orientation and my truck was on the top and backwards so it was REALLY dirty when I pulled it off....local dealer would not match the deal I was able to get from my parents LR/JAG dealer at the time so I bought from there...never had any issues with service.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Yes thanks, I definitely knew that about the LUX line :) Unfortunately, none are on the lot and I no longer have the luxury (or time) of hassling with out of state purchasing. I have run into roadblocks where Land Rover has territorial restrictions. I'm baffled.

Where are you located? I bought my LR4 from a dealer over 600 miles away and had them bring it to me, and it was a super-smooth transaction, but I've heard that some dealers have territorial restrictions.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the Lux then they have to be able to find you something. Although the non-Lux is great... Both David and I went through that ownership experience and couldn't wait to switch up to the Lux-line. When making a car purchase, especially an expensive one, try and get what you really want. Otherwise you're stuck with it for at least three-years... and that's a long time. The Philips H11s are very good... they are not HIDs, David had great success with them, and the light pattern is decent... but they're not, Xenons.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

Here you go... DDM Tuning 35w 6000k HID Low Beams and Fog Lights. Taken at two different angles for you against a garage door. I highly recommend doing this conversion.

Attachments

• photo_1-2.jpg
    photo_1-2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 41
  • photo_2-2.jpg
    photo_2-2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 39

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the Lux then they have to be able to find you something. Although the non-Lux is great... Both David and I went through that ownership experience and couldn't wait to switch up to the Lux-line. When making a car purchase, especially an expensive one, try and get what you really want. Otherwise you're stuck with it for at least three-years... and that's a long time. The Philips H11s are very good... they are not HIDs, David had great success with them, and the light pattern is decent... but they're not, Xenons.
I agree with Count and this is why I special ordered my 2013 (which I know is not an option for everyone because of timing). The Philips CV were good, but I immediately switched over to the DDM Tuning HID upgrade and it was a major change and so much better light output. I was very happy with the aftermarket HIDs, though technically they are not the best option.

Based on Brandon's (bushaway) above photo, you can nicely see the cut-off of the aftermarket HIDs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635