LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simjet22

Reaction score
My 2010 has h11 low beams. From what i'm reading ther are also some people that have h7 low beams also? please correct me if im wrong!

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 has H7 high beams along with HID headlights. The high beams are, of course, separate and the HID's have high and low beam capabilities. If you have straight halogen headlights, you could have h11 for low beams and H7's for high beams?

simjet22

Reaction score
My 2013 has H7 high beams along with HID headlights. The high beams are, of course, separate and the HID's have high and low beam capabilities. If you have straight halogen headlights, you could have h11 for low beams and H7's for high beams?

my hi beams are h7's

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread that probably helped a lot of owners improve their night vision over the years. I'm running the DDM Tuning HID kit for 4 years (and over 50k miles) at this point. Any sense of how much longer I can expect those HID bulbs to last? Been thrilled with their performance over the years, amazing bang for the buck (particularly considering how long they've lasted). Lately, I can't tell if they seem a bit dimmer that usual, or if it's just my aging eyes...

bullmrkt

Reaction score
Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my H11 fogs, I tried an LED option (not this specific make) that was quite expensive and had good reviews, but after installing them I was highly disappointed. They had a very nice clean white light, but they did not throw that light very far at all.

They were so bad, in fact, that I removed them and replaced them with these:
Amazon.com: Philips - Diamond Vision H11 Halogen HID Super White 5000K (Pair): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51U6gEUD-aL.@@AMEPARAM@@51U6gEUD-aL

I found the Phillips Diamonds were just as white in color, but about 10x the brightness as the LEDs. Pretty happy with them so far.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
For my H11 fogs, I tried an LED option (not this specific make) that was quite expensive and had good reviews, but after installing them I was highly disappointed. They had a very nice clean white light, but they did not throw that light very far at all.

They were so bad, in fact, that I removed them and replaced them with these:
Amazon.com: Philips - Diamond Vision H11 Halogen HID Super White 5000K (Pair): Automotive

I found the Phillips Diamonds were just as white in color, but about 10x the brightness as the LEDs. Pretty happy with them so far.

Hm check out the xenondepot link I posted. They show the Philips LEDs putting out almost as many lumens as their HID kits but with way more life. Life is important to me on the fogs because I like to run them as DRLs.

I understand they look nice, but a color temp of 5000k+ is too white for fogs if you care about them functioning as fogs. The higher temps create glare on fog/rain/snow, but I'm pretty sure you're in the Middle East so I don't suppose it matters to you. :biggrin:

However, our eyes are tuned to be most receptive to the color temp of moonlight (making Philips 4300k HIDs about perfect). So between two 2500 lumen lamps, the 4300k lamp is going to appear to be more powerful/effective to our eyes than a 6000k lamp even though they're both emitting identical output levels.

RedGTS

Reaction score
The Philips LED's linked above say they're plug and play replacements for H11 bulbs, but how does that work given the little harness/ballast that is shown in the pic of them? Has anyone actually used these on an LR4?

bullmrkt

Reaction score
The Philips LED's linked above say they're plug and play replacements for H11 bulbs, but how does that work given the little harness/ballast that is shown in the pic of them? Has anyone actually used these on an LR4?

You just plug them into that connector on the end of the harness, it's the same connector that's on a regular halogen H11 bulb. I purchased the yellow ones from a seller in California on eBay, so I'll know here in the next couple weeks.

RedGTS

Reaction score
You just plug them into that connector on the end of the harness, it's the same connector that's on a regular halogen H11 bulb. I purchased the yellow ones from a seller in California on eBay, so I'll know here in the next couple weeks.

Cool, let us know how they work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM