LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure… but how often are you expecting to change the fluid and filter? Anyways, glad youre happy with your decision. I for one am sticking with the original solution as its been flawless to date.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF should likely be replaced every 30kmi or so, since it's not possible to fully drain the transmission (not sure if "flush" machines can do this via the cooler pipes). Filter probably at 50k-75k intervals, maybe? This will vary with usage, i.e. towing or offroading, vs lots of highway miles.

If you don't mind paying a shop ~$1k to R&R the plastic pan with integrated filter, there's no need to convert to the metal pan.

alldazed

Reaction score
ATF should likely be replaced every 30kmi or so, since it's not possible to fully drain the transmission (not sure if "flush" machines can do this via the cooler pipes). Filter probably at 50k-75k intervals, maybe? This will vary with usage, i.e. towing or offroading, vs lots of highway miles.

If you don't mind paying a shop ~$1k to R&R the plastic pan with integrated filter, there's no need to convert to the metal pan.

alldazed

Reaction score
That’s exactly why I replaced mine with the metal pan so it was easier to do more frequent changes myself.

alldazed

Reaction score
The Pan Kit as supplied by any of our standard vendors is actually a Kit from ZF - well mostly...
I purchased from our standard vendor and they did not even bother to remove the ZF label from the box, so this is a proven fact.

The kit as we purchase it contains pan, filter, gasket and bolts.
The pan and the filter both have ZF stampings and are clearly from ZF.
The bolts appear to be aftermarket from an unknown source.
I am attempting to locate actual ZF bolts - proving quite challenging...

The gasket in the kit is a standard simple paper gasket and while there are no markings on it, appears to be ZF.

After many, many, many hours of internet work and reading, I now have the documentation to prove that the gasket earlier in this post is indeed a correct aftermarket upgrade.

Here is the info for reference:

Summit Racing is the vendor
Lube Locker Gasket
Part Number LT-F6R80
It is sold as a Ford part
I purchased a few weeks ago at $33.
Per the Lube Locker website use the original torques as provided by the application.

I have placed it on the pan and it is a perfect fit.

As far as need to change fluid and filter:
Rover and most vehicle manufacturers say "sealed for life", well, that tells you how often they want to sell you a new vehicle.....
I found this last night, but it's been in my to review list for a while...

Per the ZF Factory Service Guide, and as copied from my spreadsheet:

On page 1 - Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to 120,000 km or after eight years at the latest.That's 50,000 - 75,000 miles

I have most of the parts, but I still do not have all my concerns addressed.
I will not open her up until I know this is the right thing to do.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Following up and reporting back on my various concerns above.

Spoke to Nat at Eriksson,

He is well aware of our plastic to steel conversions...

He advises that the transmission case is, as we expect, the same in all instances and just comes with different pans for different applications.
And therefore the simple swap of the bolts is all that is required, no need to be concerned about female threaded depths in the case.
In his opinion, he says that the extra spacer/washer on the AB supplied bolts and sold as BMW OEM parts by others (although not sure how that works since they are not ZF...) is not a concern, but he was more than willing to sell me the ZF bolts at a discount.

He advises filling via the side port on the transmisison case, he says he sells 4 or 5 steel pans a week, or was it a day... to various repair shops and they all fill via the side port and there have been no reported issues. He uses the logic above that it's filled to the correct level via that port so that's the level, independent of total system volume.
I will still check this out and report back when it's all apart - just to close the loop...

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all, I am embarking on this and thanks everyone for the info and videos.
Can anyone recommend the best video for replacing these parts?

The main electronic seal is woefully inadequately covered by the AB video.

CPalacay

Reaction score
Hey, all, I am embarking on this and thanks everyone for the info and videos.
Can anyone recommend the best video for replacing these parts?

The main electronic seal is woefully inadequately covered by the AB video.

I followed this one for the most part:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I am getting ready myself.

Check these out, these are really good, his videos are embedded in the website - it's the same transmission- he is working on a ZF6HP26, ours is a 28 - the only difference is the mechatronic and the firmware.

Overview https://aston1936.com/2018/12/23/the-aston-martin-db9-automatic-transmission/
Parts and Fluids https://aston1936.com/2020/10/12/pa...ic-transmission-fluid-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Valve Seals and Bridge Seals https://aston1936.com/2020/11/02/ch...alve-and-bridge-seals-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Draining Fluid, Removing Seals https://aston1936.com/2020/11/02/ch...alve-and-bridge-seals-in-an-aston-martin-db9/
Installing the Mechatronic https://aston1936.com/2020/11/05/in...utomatic-transmission-of-an-aston-martin-db9/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM