LR4 vs. LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, are any of your LR4 owners prior LR3 owners? How do they compare?

I'm very happy with my '05 LR3 and stare longingly at the LR4s wondering if I should upgrade. :)

I'm curious about a few things;

• The MPG on the LR4 is worse than my LR3. I still get 20 on the highway. Don't see that on the LR4 tag, anyway. (if I don't reset the computer for a while, it still averages out to 14-15 for my around town driving.)
  • How is the new engine?
  • Reliability? I'm not talking major breakdowns, but what about the little nit-pick things? Every 7500 I still have some minor item I'll have them check which usually involves a sensor, computer upgrade, or they find a worn bushing or arm that I didn't know about.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

-todd

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have not owned an LR3, we do have a 4 month old LR4 with almost 7K miles now. Not a single issue I can state at this point. Reliability has been great, and I hope it continues! As for the engine, I can only compare based on my previous test drives of an LR3 (several years ago). The new engine might be my favorite part of the LR4. Smoooooooooth and powerful. It puts a smile on my face every time I get into the pedal. MPG wise, my wife averages in the 16's in town, and if we take a few out of town trips, the MPG's move into the 18's or so. We took a trip up north this summer, and I zero'd out the meter as we left. We put over 500 miles on that weekend (the car only had about 1200 miles on it at that point, so not sure it was even broke in yet) and we averaged between 21 and 22 MPG for that trip. A lot of setting the cruise control at 72 and just cruising along! I think it's safe to assume that if you can average 20 in your LR3, that the LR4 will be pretty close if not better. When we got the LR4, the dealer stated that fuel consumption was as good or up to 10 % better on the LR4 based on upgrades to the engine fuel management system, and transmission. I've seen others post that they are getting good or better fuel economy with the LR4 over the LR3, but I guess it probably comes down to your driving habits. In any event, we LOVE our LR4 and are very happy we made the jump from a BMW to the LR4. Also, you'll love the interior, and the instrument / electronic upgrades, that's for sure! I was also told, that the LR4 has upgrades to the breaks, and suspension system. Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... We up over 500 miles on that weekend (the car only had about 1200 miles on it at that point, so not sure it was even broke in yet) and we averaged between 21 and 22 MPG for that trip. A lot of setting the cruise control at 72 and just cruising along! I think it's safe to assume that if you can average 20 in your LR3, that the LR4 will be pretty close if not better. When we got the LR4, the dealer stated that fuel consumption was as good or up to 10 % better on the LR4 based on upgrades to the engine fuel management system, and transmission. I've seen others post that they are getting good or better fuel economy with the LR4 over the LR3, but I guess it probably comes down to your driving habits. ...
Thanks, Joe. I hoped that'd be the response. I couldn't see them making the new version less fuel efficient, so I suspect the metric they have to use to post calculated MPG averages has changed.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have not owned an LR3, we do have a 4 month old LR4 with almost 7K miles now. Not a single issue I can state at this point. Reliability has been great, and I hope it continues! As for the engine, I can only compare based on my previous test drives of an LR3 (several years ago). The new engine might be my favorite part of the LR4. Smoooooooooth and powerful. It puts a smile on my face every time I get into the pedal. MPG wise, my wife averages in the 16's in town, and if we take a few out of town trips, the MPG's move into the 18's or so. We took a trip up north this summer, and I zero'd out the meter as we left. We up over 500 miles on that weekend (the car only had about 1200 miles on it at that point, so not sure it was even broke in yet) and we averaged between 21 and 22 MPG for that trip. A lot of setting the cruise control at 72 and just cruising along! I think it's safe to assume that if you can average 20 in your LR3, that the LR4 will be pretty close if not better. When we got the LR4, the dealer stated that fuel consumption was as good or up to 10 % better on the LR4 based on upgrades to the engine fuel management system, and transmission. I've seen others post that they are getting good or better fuel economy with the LR4 over the LR3, but I guess it probably comes down to your driving habits. In any event, we LOVE our LR4 and are very happy we made the jump from a BMW to the LR4. Also, you'll love the interior, and the instrument / electronic upgrades, that's for sure! I was also told, that the LR4 has upgrades to the breaks, and suspension system. Good luck with your decision!

Cheers,

Joe

I only have 150 miles or so but gas mileage is getting better. A lot of folks are jumping from BMW to LR... best move I've made. Anyway, gas mileage for my BMW averaged 13.1 per gal so I'm not complaining.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will try to give you more details later, I only have a few minutes right now to type...

My mileage has been above the stated 12/17 consistently. Around town with very short trips I get 14 most of the time. On the highway, my best has been over 19 but I normally get right at or above 18mpg. I'm pretty happy with that considering the weight, size and shape of the truck. My 2005 Pathfinder with the 4L v6 got a little better in town and rarely hit 18mpg on the road.

The new engine is a real gem. I hardly ever have to put my foot into it. It hardly ever goes about 2100rpm in normal driving. But once you hit about 2800rpm up to the redline it pulls like a train! If you haven't went and drove one yet, do it.

The interior is extreemly nice. I really don't see that a RR or RRS has that much nicer interior right now. The new one is well laid out and just hits me in all the right areas.

My advice if you go to buy one is to load her up with all the toys.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although mileage varies by how one drives, LR was able to put the new 5.0 V8 with 375 hp and with some clever injection designs were able to achieve the same "average" gas mileage as the LR3 and also achieve better emissions. The LR4 is leagues ahead of the LR3 (which is already an incredible machine) and I highly recommend the upgrade.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 looks slightly more modern, but the pricing is near mad :mad: Our dealer has some offers going on, just cannot justify spending $20-30K to upgrade, we are happy with our LR3 the way it is, which is mainly for school runs.

Latest feedback from friends who has ripped off their friends' LR3/4 bumpers when trying to pull them out, is that this machine should not come near soft sand. Can anyone confirm?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 looks slightly more modern, but the pricing is near mad :mad: Our dealer has some offers going on, just cannot justify spending $20-30K to upgrade, we are happy with our LR3 the way it is, which is mainly for school runs.

Latest feedback from friends who has ripped off their friends' LR3/4 bumpers when trying to pull them out, is that this machine should not come near soft sand. Can anyone confirm?

I read that Land Rover improved the sand trekking and launch mode substantially over the LR3, which would get stuck in soft sand easily, but I haven't read enough from LR4 owners on how much of an improvement. I'd try this myself but you can't drive onto to many beaches here in California like you can back East.

Slwroller

Reaction score
Comparo...

So, are any of your LR4 owners prior LR3 owners? How do they compare?

I'm very happy with my '05 LR3 and stare longingly at the LR4s wondering if I should upgrade. :)

I'm curious about a few things;

• The MPG on the LR4 is worse than my LR3. I still get 20 on the highway. Don't see that on the LR4 tag, anyway. (if I don't reset the computer for a while, it still averages out to 14-15 for my around town driving.)
  • How is the new engine?
  • Reliability? I'm not talking major breakdowns, but what about the little nit-pick things? Every 7500 I still have some minor item I'll have them check which usually involves a sensor, computer upgrade, or they find a worn bushing or arm that I didn't know about.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

-todd

I was going to buy a 2010 LR4 HSE and ended up getting a 2008 LR3 HSE Lux.

Here are my thoughts as I have actually driven both cars quite a bit (via many test drives and quite a few LR4 Loners).

MPG - I honestly thing they will roughly be the same. For me, i was so addicted to the gas pedal in the LR4 that im sure I was only getting about 17mpg on the highway. Because of the new engine/transmission and direct injection, im fairly sure you get get 19 - 20 on the highway with a light foot and moderate speeds. I am able to get about 19mpg in my LR3, fully loaded.

Reliability - Every model will have some sort of issue. Lets be honest here, they are Land Rovers after all. I think there were a couple things that were basically all software related in the first run of the 2010 model(key fob not recognized and something else with the nave screen). To the best of my knowledge, they have corrected for late 2010 and 2011.

Real life comparisons, thoughts and experience differences:

- The LR4 seems to have more vibration in the wheel/pedal under harder acceleration.
- The LR4 has a light touch on the steering. I feel like the wheel floats when turning it, very smooth. With that said though, my LR3 feels more "settled" at highway speed.
- The less utilitarian Interior of the LR4 is pretty stinkin' nice ( i recently had a HSE Lux loaner that was black on black with black piano wood trim. amazing looking)....huge improvement over the LR3. It would seem they have done away with a good amount of dash seems and trim pieces. this organically reduces the amount of squeaks and creeks you hear in the LR3. I have never driven an LR4 that has more than 10k miles on it though...the cabin could get louder as the car puts on more miles...who knows.
- The LR4 navigation screen visibility is improved but I still think the interface sucks. Its better than the LR3, yes, but still not as good as others on the market.
- the Standard, non ipod interface for Aux audio is still crap in the LR4, no change there.
- The LR4 seats (front) feel a bit more supportive than the LR3, both are extremely comfortable, though.
- The LR4 seats (back) have a more bucket feel to them are more comfortable than the rear seats of the LR3.
- The handling feels very similar to the LR3. The more powerful engine makes the car feel more sporty but the body roll is still there on cornering. I am not 100% sure on this but i think the LR4 has a new suspension set up? It does feel a bit more stable than the LR3 but not MUCH better.
-Interior room and usability feels unchanged from LR3 to LR4. 3rd row seats are still a mild PITA to get set up. I could care less about this, though. Its not awful and the folded space is WAY better than the 4Runner or New Lexus GX.

I cant really speak to the off road changes. I have taken the LR3 on few light trips in the dirt/woods. It performed as well as you could expect...probably exactly like your 2005.

That is all I can think of right now. I would suggest getting a year old LR4 in 2011 or 2012 to make sure all the bugs have been flushed out.

buybrakes

Reaction score
Regarding "LR4s having more vibration vs LR3 in the wheel/pedal under harder acceleration", I am able to eliminate the LR3's vibration by bringing the engine revs up by dropping down a gear (in sport shift mode) like from 5th to 4th.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72