Which would you rather?

2016 HSE w/ no maint records vs. 2016 HSE 48K w dealer service vs. 2016 LR4 Silver Ed 69K w record

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DNA girl

Reaction score
Hi everyone -
Had an RR before and it had a bunch of issues at 25K, but I've always wanted an LR4, so I'm finally going to do it! I found 3 different choices, below, but don't know enough about LR4s, and the issues they have and at what miles, and whether the silver edition is worth the extra miles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't guess, or hope, know.

I would get a reputable LR mechanic that you trust to do an inspection on the one you like the best. If it checks out, pull the trigger. If not, move on to the next, or deal around the issue if you want. If the seller won't let you do a presale inspection, move on to the next one that will.

All three could be perfectly fine. On the other hand, all three could have problems. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them does have problems. As you already know from your own lived RR experience, mileage isn't necessarily a guarantee. I wouldn't want to blindly select door 1, 2, or 3 only to find I should have selected the other door.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it would depend on options, specifically whether it had the HD package (with the 2-speed transfer case and locking differentials). Like others said though, a pre-purchase inspection by a reputable shop is a must for all of them. I went through a few candidates before getting our LR4 and the PPI helped spot potential timing issues a few times, before we found one with the chain job done.

DNA girl

Reaction score
Thanks all. So the 43K one is at Carmax and when I looked at the Carfax the car had no entries at all (not even registration or smog) since 2020. Some of the dash looked melted, like it had sat in the sun too long. So that was crossed off. The other car is in Houston, and apparently since 2018 it had been driven a total of 848 miles TOTAL. Prior to that it was a corporate car and they put 25K on it in 2 years. It does't have the HD package, and I'd have to fly out there to look at it - and I'm just wondering if it's worth the $40K they're asking for it...

PS: this is the vehicle history for th 43K car... I've never seen anything like this and I've been looking at LR4s for over 6 mos...

PPS: I'm also attaching the history of the 29K car from the time it was sold by the corporate business.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 8.29.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 8.29.20 AM.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 8.31.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 8.31.31 AM.png
    209 KB · Views: 17

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my LR4 last July and didn't want to fly anywhere to look at vehicles, I admire your efforts. I looked a lot locally and in parts of Arizona and then found one that hit all the requirements and bought it over the phone from San Francisco.

For the corporate car the other benefit is it hasn't lived in a state that salts its roads. When I bought mine they lied about the timing chain being OK and that their mechanics checked everything out, but I knew two things #1 I can tell when a salesman is lying because his lips are moving #2 From research it could have big problems but I was willingly ready to pay for them. For the years you are looking at I don't know the value of them but for mine I paid $15k for it and then put $15k more into it.

9ue9KBa.jpg

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rat traps for mice! They are big white tail mice out there in the Mohave with occasional rats. I've probably caught 50+ of them after mastering the technique. In the forest I use actual mice traps since they are much smaller creatures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72