LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing yet. The Defender is a tricky one to redesign, perhaps the trickiest of all, because it is still the most iconic representation of the brand's storied past, and its owners are generally the most hard-core, loyal, and... resistant to change. The DC100 concept they came up with in 2011 was not received very well, so they must have gone back to the drawing board on that one. I think they will concentrate on finishing up the Discovery line first, and tackle the Defender last, probably in 2-3 years as David says.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing yet. The Defender is a tricky one to redesign, perhaps the trickiest of all, because it is still the most iconic representation of the brand's storied past, and its owners are generally the most hard-core, loyal, and... resistant to change. The DC100 concept they came up with in 2011 was not received very well, so they must have gone back to the drawing board on that one. I think they will concentrate on finishing up the Discovery line first, and tackle the Defender last, probably in 2-3 years as David says.
I completely agree with Umberto. The Defender will really make or break some of the hard-core followers.

I posted previously about my conversation with a LR employee who was recently at a meeting at the LR headquarters in Solihull and saw the upcoming new "Discovery". The spy shots are exactly as he described. He told me there would be three Range Rover models, three Discovery models, and three Defender models. Supposedly (and I have read this as well), the new Defender design has been "signed off", but is being extremely guarded. I think it will have some remnants of the notorious DC100, the new line of LRs, and hopefully keep some of the iconic design.

With all that said, this guy also told me that LR's vision is that the Range Rover line is their luxury line, Discovery will be the recreational/active line, and Defender will be the more utilitarian/off-road line. I think they will still stress that all their vehicles are highly capable, but I do believe that the Discovery will become more of an active SUV like the X5, etc. and less of an off-road truck - they will leave that to the Defender.

I have not seen anything reputable about the new Defender line, there are a few renditions, but no spy shots or anything leaked. Like I said, they are keeping things very quiet!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Umberto. The Defender will really make or break some of the hard-core followers.

I posted previously about my conversation with a LR employee who was recently at a meeting at the LR headquarters in Solihull and saw the upcoming new "Discovery". The spy shots are exactly as he described. He told me there would be three Range Rover models, three Discovery models, and three Defender models. ...!
The LR2 renaming keeps confusing me.

So...we're in the Discovery line. Got it. So what the heck is an LR2 now? Discovery Sport? So they are going to make TWO other Discoverys?!? (hopefully based on the LR4). This will be interesting...

They may just confuse the market and end up with too many vehicles. I do like the look of all the RRs out now, but they are not right for my use or budget.

Thanks for the info, though. You seem to have the best line on progress at HQ!

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't this the last lr2 year? i would suppose it will be replaced by the disco sport

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Discovery Sport is the replacement for the LR2, which is no longer in production (though you may see some left overs on the lot and as loaner cars - yuck). From what I heard, the Discovery (replacement for the LR4) will be the biggest, then you have the Discovery Sport, and then there are plans for a Discovery "insert something here" which is even smaller than the Discovery Sport. It will be comparable to the Range Rover Evoque in that line up. I have no idea about the details of that part of the Discovery family.

I wish we had more information on the Defender, but the only thing I know is that there will be a 2-door (probably called a 90), 4-door (probably a 110), and then something else likely a 4-door with truck or something (maybe a 130).

I don't really have much of an inside scoop, just know a lot of dealership people and a couple guys who were at a recent meeting in Solihull. It may be all lies, but seems to be coming true with what we are hearing about the upcoming Defender.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had one (Disco "Sport") for a loaner. Felt so cheap, tinny. I know it sits at a different price point but felt like it was from a totally different brand...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on subject, some gifted Photochopper on the Disco3 UK forum has been having some fun. Shows how close to the original Vision concept the upcoming Disco may end up looking like:

2018Discoanim.gif

Also, this article from AutoExpress claims to have a couple of allegedly undisguised images of the new Discovery - emphasis on "allegedly", but based on the spy shots we've seen so far they may very well be pretty darn close to the finished product:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-r...covery-2016-latest-details-and-exclusive-pics

I don't see a split tailgate. :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9