LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my odd observation...could those wheels look any less-rugged? The design looks like flower petals.

ThamesDitton

Reaction score
It looks like a RRS estate version - and too low to the ground to be very capable off road - a real Chelsea tractor. I hope I am wrong. The wheels look too small for the car and there doesn't seem to be much room in the wheel arches for bigger wheels. Just odd. Someone please tell me this is a photochop. Who would test a new vehicle by taking it to a recycling centre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume that in this picture it is lowered to "Access Height" which is why it appears to be sitting so low. Maybe to make it easier to get the recycle trash out of the rear. I also suspect that someone had been allowed to drive the mule around town as in "everyday life" similar to when Apple employees have been able to test out the next gen iPhone (which leads to big problems if they lose them somewhere.) That said, the tailgate still looks massive to me. There may be ways to make it fit the height of one's garage but you may need to pull it in another foot (if you park it bow-first) so that you have room to open the tailgate with the garage door closed. It does look like the "activity platform" or whatever they will call it is deployed. But one of the benefits of the split tailgate is that you could open the upper side then reach in and grab stuff without opening the lower. Handy when that stuff is somewhat loose (e.g. grocery bags or sleeping bags) and might fall out. If these pics are real and they abandon the split tailgate then it may be only Toyota that will have a vehicle with a split tailgate unless there is some American vehicle that is done that way. (There is already speculation on the Land Cruiser forum about their next gen - which won't be for at least another year - and a fair bit of concern that Toyota may take the LC in a similar direction to LR and others. We hope not. And before any of you ever consider an LC, let's talk. Not that any of you would and not that this would be a viable alternative for some if they can't stomach the Discover. But you will be giving up some things that, in the end, may offset your frustrations with the Discovery.)

ThamesDitton

Reaction score
I found this short video of the back end in the discovery concept car. It's pretty similar to the photos we see on here

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I found the following quote in that article interesting...

"that the 2017 Discovery will go on sale in mid-2017". Really? Not until mid-2017 to go on sale? I have a hard time believing that unless 1) they still have a lot of LR4 inventory or 2) they are still working out the kinks in the manufacturing process. Or (hopefully) the guys is just wrong and it will show up for sale before the end of the year.

GOHABS

Reaction score
A salesman at my local LR dealership sent me this video today. Hope this isn't a repost:

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A salesman at my local LR dealership sent me this video today. Hope this isn't a repost:

Interesting they decided to showcase a re-design which hasn't even been unveiled yet? Odd. Very odd. Not to mention, one has to wonder how much weight in motors they just added!!! hahah Is this for real?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they finish off the clip with a reference to the World Premiere date so I expect it is real. I have heard that they are definitely keeping the fundamental ability to fold the seats to create a flat cargo area. This is a significant differentiator for the LR4 when compared to any other vehicle in its class if not any other vehicle period. I am glad they are carrying over that flat cargo area. One of the complaints against the LR4, though, was that many found it difficult or awkward to stow/deploy those seats. Apparently this is their answer - make it push button. But does that mean one would need to wear a huge wrist band with all the controls to manage the vehicle? ;-) I also wonder how long it will take, or how much off road jostling, to mess up those motors.

And, yes, this is certainly the real thing. Absolutely no reason to hide it this close to the World Premiere. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be other clips released that highlight other areas.

I also find the link to Bear Gryllis and the sky diving team. They are clearly trying to appeal to the adventure audience rather than the mall crawler. I'll bet they are worried about losing the "adventure" image/audience. So I would expect more marketing that tries to associate the Discovery with "adventure" and outdoors activities of some sort.

Finally, below the YouTube version of this video you will find the following link to the page on the LR website for the new Discovery. Not much there yet but you can register to be notified of updates.

http://bit.ly/2bQixZB

Last edited:

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice summary Dan. Those seats look very much like those in the Disco Sport which I find uncomfortable. I know there will be better materials in the new Disco so hopefully closer to the comfort of the LR4.

Hope you are enjoying the new LC, sadly I don't sense the Disco will have the towing chops you need.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99