LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good diesel info, Ryan. Thanks.

I have driven modern Diesel engines and while the dealer and most owners proclaim how clean they are, I still found them noticeably stinkier (that burnt oil smell) and giving a slow dark dust on the back end. Don't get me wrong...it's much much better than in the 80s but those diesels are still not as clean as traditional gas.

That said, I have no experience with LR diesel engines. Is it used on any other non-LR cars?

Any intel on if diesel price increases will always lag gas or stay flatter? That was the deal last time there was a surge. Diesel was a bit more expensive, but not astronomical and it more than paid for itself with increased MPG the engines were getting. But, if diesel goes up that advantage goes away. For me, it'd be the gas cost savings and increased vehicle range.

Also, no experience maintaining a diesel engine. Any notable differences in cost or repair schedule?

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, with gas prices in the UK / Europe around $6-$7 per gallon, the diesel engine is what you find in the LR3/LR4 98% of the time over there. They are tried and tested engines. Gasoline (petrol) engines are very much a US thing on these trucks.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is more popular in Europe largely because it is subsidized and lack of regulations around diesel particulate / NOx emissions.

The technology has come a long way, and apart from the annoying urea injection systems (something else to service regularly) they generally provide a good driving experience for most situations. Range would also be nice as others have said.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time fuel prices were high in the US it was both gas and diesel so base choice on other attributes.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea of diesel engines as under-performing, stinky alternatives to gas engines is an antiquated notion. In vehicles like these, diesel engines are almost universally superior to petrol if a few horsepower doesn't make that big of a deal.

I would get one for the increased range alone.

Exactly. I have no experience with the JLR diesel, but our diesel GL gets over 600 miles of range on the highway: 26 mpg doing 75-80 mph and 20 mpg in the city.

Modern diesels are quiet, powerful and efficient. I think they are the optimal engine choice for larger SUVs, especially if one plans to do a lot of highway driving and/or towing. You have to add def for emissions control, but its not really an issue because it lasts at least as long as an oil change(10k-20k miles) and its as easy as buying a jug and filling the tank.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Discovery video they mention that you can have automatic access height when you exit the vehicle. Looks like the Discovery in that picture is at access height.

Why would they do that, especially with all the talk about how it will be less capable.
I would think from a marketing standpoint you would want to least not appear to alienate the consumer who has made the Discovery models so popular.
I agree the LR4 looks to be in lifted mode.
The reason for the droopy look could very well be that it is in access mode, or this is the normal ride height with the 21" wheels (think we have a problem no souring good AT tire...)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would they do that, especially with all the talk about how it will be less capable.
I would think from a marketing standpoint you would want to least not appear to alienate the consumer who has made the Discovery models so popular.

Pffft....it's anybody's guess! In that particular photo they may have wanted it to look more sporty and ground hugging. The soccer mom's and dads don't want to drive anything too tall and boxy. Who the heck knows.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pffft....it's anybody's guess! In that particular photo they may have wanted it to look more sporty and ground hugging. The soccer mom's and dads don't want to drive anything too tall and boxy. Who the heck knows.

Maybe they want short people or families with kids to see that they can enter and exit the new Discovery without those goofy running boards.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the too tall and boxy. Suburbans, Tahoes and their GMC counterparts are good sellers, particularly in the soccer mom crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose until we see it in person it could possibly be "the best 4x4 we've ever built" but I don't see how it could be - aside from a pretty awesome wading depth. It's just a shame they have made it look like every other suv on the road. The beauty of the discovery was it's boxy 'truckiness' being combined with civil manners on road while being a bad ass off road. It's a shame too, that the moment they come out with the diesel that I've been pining for, they turn it into an Explorer...

I guess we'll have to wait to see whether they screw up the defender or not, but from what I've seen it looks like a plasticky toy and not the traditional workhorse that it has been since it's inception.

I will say this regarding price: Back in the early '90s one of the first RRs I got (used) stickered at around $48000. Given inflation, and the vast vast amount of improvements in even a base LR4, it is pretty impressive that it can be had for around the same price as the old RR.

Oh well, maybe the new Bronco will be great!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72